Madeline

Can you give Pepto Bismol to dogs?

My dog has had diarrhea for about 10hrs she is otherwise showing no signs of sickness. I read you could give dogs 6ml of pepto bismol per pound. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this. Of course I will bring her to the vet if it continues but I wondering if I could use this for now. Thanks for any help!

Asked by Madeline "Maddie" on Sep 9th 2008 Tagged peptobismol, diarrhea in Health & Wellness

Answers

Joey

Instead of using Pepto, I would do a boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days and or add pumpkin to the kibble. This will calm the stomach and will be healthier and easier to mange then Pepto will. Either or both option is good. If you using pumpkin, remember it is just natural pumpkin not pie filler.

Joey answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have not given Deogie Pepto but when he had diarrhea such as your dog the vet said pepto would help his stomach. The vet also suggested cooked extra lean hamburger and rice for a couple days. It worked great and no pepto needed.

Duke

Canned Pumpkin is the best, I think someone else mentioned that, I always keep a few cans in the pantry and my dog loves the taste. It is a great natural way to get your dog regular again. good luck

Duke answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

When your (adult) dog has sudden diarrhea like this, it's often caused by overfeeding or possibly a change in the food formula that you're using. (Canidae, for example, has recently changed its formulas and it's making a lot of dogs have diarrhea.) What most folks do is simply fast the dog for 24 hours and go back to the regular feeding. This usually does take care of the issue.

If the diarrhea continues, you can try a bland diet. Boiled chicken with rice works great. You can also try adding pumpkin (100% pure canned pumpkin) to the regular food to help firm things up.

In addition, yes, you can use Pepto Bismol on your dog. It is safe and it works. However, in most cases on diarrhea, it's just not really needed, as it can be controlled by simply fasting or going to the bland diet.

Precious

Mom used to give me pepto when I had an upset stomach. But like the other answer given to you, she switched me to a chicken and rice diet, which has helped a lot, better than the pepto.

Precious answered on 9/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Byron

I know this is an old post, but for future reference. I give my dog Immodium when he has diarrhea. The vet said "we don't like to give them Immodium" but acknowledged it's probably ok. Since they couldn't give me a reason they don't like it, I use it. It stops the diarrhea immediately.

Byron answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

For nausea, I personally did not want to give Pepto-Bismol to my dog who had signs of food poisoning (probably from something he "found" outside). I was worried he might not be able to expel any poison in his stomach if I did give it to him, even though it might have made his tummy feel a little better. It's different with humans who pretty much can tell you what they ate.

For diarrhea, I would say you could try Pepto-Bismol or maybe Imodium (I'm not a vet though). In emergencies, most of my pets got whatever I had for myself (aspirin if in pain, etc.) though I know there are some important no-nos like no chocolate, no beer, etc. The info is out there. Anyway, my dogs pretty much lived into "old age" -- this particular one age 16.

Rice, rice, rice!! Hold your dogs normal food and feed him rice flavored with chicken broth or with a small amount of boiled chicken in it. Mine loves the rice plain too, of course she'll eat anything! Your dogs stool should solidify after the 2nd or 3rd helping. It's the safest, most holistic way to go, and it works!

Toby

We read on Dogster and other internet sites that you can give your dog Pepto Bismol. Our vet advises not to give it. It does contain aspirin. They recommend giving your dog a diet of boiled hamburger and rice, canned plain pumpkin, and Hill's I/D canned dogfood available at your vets. Check your yard for poisons such as onions, chives, and mushrooms which can make dogs very ill. Keep them away from chemicals, antifreeze, and garbage too.

Toby answered on 5/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beethoven

can i give my dog pepto bismol

Beethoven answered on 1/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer