Fozzie Bear -- I miss my sweet

Can you give dogs OTC glucosamine?

Asked by Fozzie Bear -- I miss my sweet on Apr 23rd 2009 Tagged glucosamine in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm not certain about OTC, but I know that some dog foods and dog food suppliments have glucosamine in it. A natural source of glucosamine is chicken feet, which I gave to my GSD daily to help with her arthritis up until I started giving her a suppliment that included glucosamine as well as helping with weight management. I would, however, still be feeding chicken feet if I didn't need the weight management help.

Yes, go ahead. Try poking around the Arthritis Foundation's website. They have a page on dogs and arthritis.

Yes, absolutely.

If you are using human-grade Glucosamine, the combination pills containing Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM are the best choice.

In addition, a good quality Ester-C supplement also supports joint health. Start that off at a small dosage and work your way up, as it's known to cause upset tummies.

If you want to go to a product made specifically for dogs, you cannot go wrong with Synovi G3. It's a great supplement and makes a world of difference in a dog's joint health. My 6 year old German Shepherd, who has arthritis in her right hind leg is on that and Ester-C and doing well enough to still keep up on pack hikes and other strenuous activities.

You can but they do make glucosamine for dogs too that comes in chewable tablets or liquid. Most human glucosamine comes in pill form or flavored liquids. I would consult a vet before giving a dog OTC human glucosamine just to be on the safe side that you're giving the right amount.