Can two male dogs live in harmony together?

lhasa apsos I have a male lhasa apso and he needs
a friend. He is one year old. Friend has a male (puppy)for adoption, or will putting two males together create havoc?

Asked by Member 931426 on Dec 18th 2009 Tagged lhasaapso, malestogether in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

I had a Lab mix, a Lab and a German Shorthaired Pointer all males all unneutered living together for many years, and they never fought. I never even thought about how unusual that was. Most of the time males will fight, but altering helps. I have Sammy and Big John now, both neutered and they never fight. They get along great. The only time I ever had a problem was when a stray showed up, I took him in. As soon as he got to a normal weight and was feeling good, he attacked first one then the other of my two German Shorthairs. Luckily he was a purebred and people were happy to have a beautiful B&T. He was a great dog, just needed to be the #1, and well, that couldn't happen here.
Try putting the two of them together on neutral territory and getting them used to playing together and sharing toys and water bowl. Gradually have the other dog spend more and more time in your home. Give it a couple of months,if they're both neutered, I'll bet it will work, if done slowly.

answered on Dec 18th.

Answers

Seth

I have seven males , and have had about this many for years and have had a couple of fights in that time and both were very minor. So as long as there is not a female in heat around they should be fine.

Seth answered on 12/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Absolutely they can live together. We have 3 fixed males & one spayed alpha female in our household. She lets the boys know when they are out of line! We did have an issue with one male who did not fit in & he had to be rehomed eventually, but it was the female who decided he was not part of the pack & the boys joined in. Supervise them closely, but at the age of your dog there should be no problem getting a little pal for him!

It might depend on the personality of the dogs.
Try a meet and greet with the other potential adoptee.
Ask them if you can make an appointment to see if the dogs will like each other.
Also remember if your dog is the only dog and is an adult , a puppy may not be the route to go , a puppy can be highly annoying for a well mannered adult dog, he will not be use to having another dog as it is. I would advise going with a dog that is same age or slightly older.
A meet and greet off the property is the most successful route to go. That way your dog will not be protective of his home and be in a neutral area. :)

Maverick

Of course you can have two male dogs! They just need to be introduced to each other slowly. I'm sure that your dog will love a friend and they will have a blast and play!

Maverick answered on 12/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer