Can raw chicken be allergenic?

Since we started our labs on a diet of chicken backs (5 days/week) and Bravo Beef + Nupro (2 days) they've shown irritated skin and ears. A friend switched from chicken to turkey with great success. Her lab lost needed weight and the skin discomfort abated. Does anyone have an opinion about this one way or the other? Many thanks.

Asked by Member 1157352 on Mar 2nd 2013 Tagged raw in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I would ask in the raw forum under the community section. You might be able to get better answers that way.

If you are just feeding that diet I would suspect it is not balanced. Vitamins twice a week will not make up for the lack of nutrients only chicken backs are providing as the major food.
It would also depend on how long you have been feeding that diet...changes in a dog resulting from change of food usually take a minimium of 4 to 6 weeks to show up, some even take longer.
I agree with Obi, post over in the raw forum so you can respond to questions the posters who reply may have. Answers is limited to one short answer per responder, and no feedback from you is allowed.

I would stop the Nupro asap! Chicken backs should not be an issue. If the Bravo is meat and veggies that should be fine.
Its always the kibble that causes issues. Also give dha.

My dog gets ill when eating poultry or poultry-based foods. It's beef, fish, or lamb only for her.