Bear

Can ppl be allergic to a specific breed of dog?

We have had our German Shepperd for three years and never had any allergic reactions.
We adopted our pug Ace on Christmas and were fine for the first day or two, but after that we started noticing hives on our kids arms and legs. Is it even possible to be allergic to a specific breed?
(yes there both indoor dogs)

Asked by Bear on Jan 10th 2012 in Allergies

Answers

No, you can't be allergic to a breed of dog. You can't be allergic to one breed of dog and not another. Your dog could be going outside and rolling in something or getting into something and bringing it back inside on its skin/coat. Wipe your dog down when bringing him back inside.

I'm not an expert, but from what I do know from my booklearning...
No. Actually, what people are allergic to is the dander in the pet's fur rather than the dog itself. Some breeds are known for being "hypoallergenic", such as Poodles. This is because they shed less. (However, there is no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed at all.)

That said, as German Shepherds shed quite a bit--I'm not sure how much compared to Pugs--I am led to suspect as another poster suggested that it is something the dog got into. Or perhaps not the dog at all.

I absolutely disagree with the previous two answers, however, rather than breed I believe it is the difference in coat types.
Allergies are to the dander and in a short, smooth coated dog that dander is right up close to the ends of the hair and enables contact with skin easily.
I am a groomer and I have serious excema reactions to breeds like pugs, Frenchies, boxers, and other short haired dogs. I do not react to most other breeds at all.
Frequent bathing of the dog will help remove the dander and make the kids less reactive.
Good luck.

Harley

I agree with Toto. You most certainly can be allergic to one breed over another. In fact, any decent allergist has to test with at least FIVE different breeds to give you an accurate diagnosis of dog allergy. Its not just "dander". There are individual characteristics within dander, between breeds. This is why the AKC actually has a list of dogs that may be better for people with allergies...if it was ALL dogs, there would be no such list. Have you bathed your new pug yet? Perhaps there was something at the previous home that is reacting with your kids. Maybe the soap they used? Its worth trying first before seeking medical advice. If that doesnt seem to do the trick, perhaps a low dose of Claritin for the kids (if you arent opposed to the medicating) and hydro-cortisone cream to see if it clears it up. Once its cleared and Ace has been bathed, reintroduce the kids and see what happens. Be cautious for facial swelling or trouble breathing. Good Luck!

Harley answered on 1/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rascal

I walk dogs for a living so by NO means am I any sort of expert, but I have noticed that i am more itchy after walking certain breeds (all short-hair) I noticed it first when I boarded a French bulldog, I started REALLY feeling itchy on my bare skin where he rubbed his face. Now I have Fostered a beagle (ok she's officially been adopted in my heart) I itch like freaking crazy when I pet her. So I would say I agree with the groomer on this one, it never happens with any of the long hair breeds, and not ALL the short hairs...weird!

Rascal answered on 10/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer