can poodle with earache and sore throat be given a baby aspirin? Just one. can't afford to take him to vet.

my toy poodle has so many allergies that I can't seem to keep up with all of them. He has skin rash, sore throat and inner ear infection from air conditioner. I can't take him to a vet because I can't afford it. I need to find an over the counter pain reliever that I can safely give to him now.

Asked by Member 739703 on Sep 19th 2008 in Odor Eliminators

Answers

That is intensely rude and judgmental. While this person might not have the money to take her dog to a vet, at least she's actually, you know, TRYING to help her dog.

And yes, you can give a dog aspirin. Search google for "giving dogs aspirin" and you should find some links that will help you.

While it is safe to give dogs baby Aspirin as a pain killer and mild anti-inflammatory, it is absolutely not the correct way to treat an ear infection or allergies.

Infections must be treated with antibiotics or they will continue to get worse. A pain killer does not treat an infection.

Allergies need to be treated with histamine blockers, such as Benedryl, if it is, in fact, allergies and not something else going on.

So while yes, you can give Aspirin, it is the wrong course of action here and it will not help your dog or make him more comfortable. Your dog really has to see a vet because only a vet can prescribe antibiotics, which are what is needed to treat the infection.

If you cannot afford veterinary care, try borrowing the money, apply for Care Credit to use at the vet's, or sell items on Craig's List so you can afford vet care. Beyond that, the only thing you could do is to sign your dog over to a rescue or shelter so he can get treated.

Yes you can give your dog buffered aspirin...BUT, from what you are telling us, your dog NEEDS to see a vet!!!
The aspirin may give some relief but will not save your dog's hearing & cure the problem.
You really need to put some money back for just such an emergency!
Dogs give us so much...We should be able to give the the care they need. : (

Guest 307447, I am sorry that I was so unnecessarily rude to you on your question. I can actually understand your money situation because my family is in a pretty tight money squeeze ourselves. We can just barely afford to take care of ourselves and our dogs too. So, I can understand both sides.
I still believe that if you can't afford to take care of a dog that you should either ask for donations or give the dog to someone who can afford it. If my family's money situation gets any worse, we'll have to do that.
I'm normally not that rude and neitether are most members (though some scold sometimes), so please don't let it turn you from Dogster.
Best of luck with your dog.