can my dog be taken away from me by an ex girlfreind?

My name is on the adoption. But when we broke up three years ago, I stayed away for about 6 months due to work and the fact it was very hard to deal with my ex. She took that as i abandoned the dog and has treated me that way since. I got to see my dog occasionally. I never wanted to take my dog completely away from her because my dog grew up with two of her dogs. (We have been splitting time 50/50 for 2 1/2 years). Now, recently i am fearing that she is trying to take her for good. what are my legal rights?

Asked by Member 1129205 on Sep 4th 2012 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

In the eyes of the law, dogs (unfortunately) are still considered property. In the absence of a written agreement, it may look like you abandoned your property. Please consult a lawyer ..many will do free consultations...to see if you have any recourse here. The fact that you have had him 50% of the time, plus your name being on the adoption papers should work in your favour. Good luck to you.

Opheila

It's kind of you to think in the best interest of your pooch. Alot of people get so darn vindictive after a break-up they don't consider others feelings.
That being said...unfortunately unlike human children companion animals are legally considered property like a microwave or couch. One thing you want to make sure of is that if there's a chance your ex won't give the dog back after a visit...you don't want to leave the dog there alone. Even if you called the police, unless the dogs are being visibly abused or neglected they can't take back your dog.
The only recourse possibly is if you have the adoption form and vet records with your name on them a judge might order her to give you the dog. Maintaining physical possession at all times is the best you can really do.

Opheila answered on 9/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer