Nevin

Can I use cat treats as training treats for my dog, since they taste better and are cheaper than dry meat treats?

- We feed high-quality dog food.
- Just need a moderately-priced treat for at-home training, dry and easy to keep around.
- Can't find tiny dog treats like Charley Bears easily.

Asked by Nevin on Jan 26th 2012 Tagged treats, treats, trainingtreats in Treats

Answers

Tiara

Cat treats are made for cats, so Really there is a chance they would not be very good for a dog to have. Cats needs are very different then dogs and can be harmful to a dog. Getting one once in awhile may not hurt them, so you may be fine there, but it is best to stay with dog treats. I use the nutro crunchy treats. They are soft enough a small dog would be able to eat them.

Tiara answered on 1/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We always use cat food for training treats in all my obedience classes. Almost all dogs LOVE them, they are a perfect size and they are very easy to carry around with you.
Used as treats there is NOTHING different enough between cat food and dog food to harm your dog (or your cat, if you use dog food for treats.) When using treats you are not feeding your dog, you are giving little pieces to mark behaviors you desire. It is unlikely that your dog will eat enough cat food to ever mess with its normal diet. In fact, using liver or some other really rich treat is MORE likely to cause dietary issues that dry cat food.
Good luck with your training!!

You can use cat treats but I recommend feeding dog treats. Cat treats won't hurt your dog (I've fed my dogs cat treats before and my vet feeds dogs cat treats).

Treats I recommend feeding -

Solid Gold Tiny Tots
Solid Gold Lamb Jerky
Solid Gold La Lamb Treats
Solid Gold Petzyme Tripe
SoJos Dog Treats
Kona's Chips
Wet Noses Organic Dog Treats
Gimborn
Pure Bites
Charlee Bear
Newman's Own Dog Treats
Wagatha's
Barkwheats
WhoozUrDoggy
Bravo Bonus Bites Turkey Hearts Dog Treats
Plato Organic Treats
Oliver Bentley's Barking Bakery

There are some foods that cats like that are bad for dogs. The best treats I would recommend are homade treats. And this recipie is pretty much dry meat so here it is.

You will need: Boneless and skinless chicken
Prehat the oven to 200 degrees F
1. Cut off all the fat from the chicken. Cut the chicken into small strips (the size you want the treats to be).

2. Lay the strips on aluminum foil on a pan and bake it in the oven for 2-4 hours. (The strips don't have to be spread out because they just shrink).

3.Check the chicken at 2 hours. They are hard, thin, and dry when finished.

Your dog and maybe even you will enjoy them!

Here's a link to a webste with all kinds of dog treat recipes!

www.bullwrinkle.com