Bucko

Can I still neuter my 9yr. old dachshund? Is there an age limit?

Asked by Bucko on Feb 23rd 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

No there is no age limit altough the earlier the better.Is there a health issue that would prompt you to so this now?Get with your Vet to do some blood work and a heart check up to see if your dog is healthy enough to go thru the surgery.Always keeping in mind that age is not a disease.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dudley

Nope, there's no age limit and most of us here on Dogster would applaud you for getting him neutered because even the most careful of owners every once in a while slips up and that leads to unwanted litters. Just like the other post suggested, have them run the necessary tests to ensure he's up for the strain of surgery.

Dudley answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No. No age limit. Altering may be just a bit harder on the older dog, but nothing serious. Since he's a little dog, he hasn't "aged" nearly as much a big dog of the same age. Good luck with neutering your dog!