Can I occasionally leave my dog outside?

I have a 2 mo old german shepherd/lab mix. She has a coarse but short coat. She's primarily an inside dog, but I would like for her to have some outdoor time so she doesn't feel cooped up. We live in El Paso where it can get around 105 in the sun this time of year. I have a big backyard and large covered patio that isn't closed in so air flows freely. Is she too young to occasionally be outside during the day with ample shade and water? The only exercise she gets right now is playing because we are struggling with learning to walk on a leash. She does get some activity chasing my cat who in turn beats the crap out of her though. Thanks.

Asked by Member 1117173 on Jun 23rd 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

She is definitely too young to be left outside by herself. Puppies can get into all sorts of trouble. I would wait until she's at least a year old or more. Also, when she's older, you don't want to leave her out if she's not spayed. Good Luck with her.

Maggie

I think it would be fine if you puppy-proof the yard (pick up any chewable or hazardous items, make sure fence is escape-proof, etc) provide shelter and water, and don't leave her out there all day and night. Dogs have lived outside much longer than they've been housepets, most that are not extremely short-haired or short-faced can handle it fine.

Maggie answered on 6/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bailey

I also think she's too young. I would suggest getting an excersise pen that you could set up in the backyard. This way she can still have fun in the grass but you won't have to worry about her digging under the fence or other mischeif.

Just make sure there is SHADE and a water dish and toys for her. Also check up on her often to make sure everythings alright. And don't keep her out there too long :)

Bailey answered on 6/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is completely alright to take your puppy outdoor. Make sure you dont leave her unsupervised. You have to keep an eye on her while she is out. By now I guess you must have started her house breaking training as well and if you haven't then now is a good time. Take her atleast twice outside.