Tangy

Can i give my puppy ENSURE? I was told by the breeder i can.

Asked by Tangy on Jan 2nd 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

WHY would you NEED to give a dog a human supplement??? A normal puppy gets all the nutrition they need from puppy food. That product is made for humans and a dog's digestive system is way, way different than a humans. I sure wouldn't dare give it to any of my puppies!!!!

I see ZERO good reasons to give her a human nutritional drink. A good quality puppy food is formulated to have everything needed already in it.

Have you looked at the ingredients on that stuff, anyway? Here's the first nine: WATER, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, SUGAR (SUCROSE), CORN SYRUP, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SOY OIL, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CANOLA OIL

There is NOTHING there that is good for dogs, or for humans, for that matter. Ensure is a fortified milkshake, I don't know how something that sweet can count as "healthy"...

And it has CHOCOLATE in it! That is a BIG NO-NO for dogs, it's very poisonous to them!

I would seriously question Tangy's breeder's experience and intelligence for recommending this.

both answers are right. And it does have sugars.
Bad for the tummy and the teeth, yes.

I don't know why your breeder told you that. I had a breeder tell me years ago with a puppy, to give the dog milk. Well, I know why now, she was HD. So lesson learned, sometimes, those unhelpful suggestions mean they might have either no knowledge or a problem.

I would suggest no ensure.
I am kind of curious, why though.? :) best of luck. Dieta.

The only reason I can see for suggesting that is what I call the ''Yogi Bear effect''. This is very common in the dog world. People can't leave well enough alone and be content to feed a dog food carefully formulated to have everything a dog needs. They have to prove they are smarter than the average bear and add this or that even though it may do more harm than good. Just stick to dog food.