can i feed my puppy cooked beans to help with diarreah?

my husband found a 4-5 week old puppy on the side of the road yesturday and she is having some diarreah. we have given her cows milk wich i read earlier today will cause that. i know that i can use rice and chicken broth. but what about cooked white beans? please help

Asked by Member 529355 on Nov 11th 2007 in Homemade Food

Answers

I don't know about cooked beans, but when my dogs have diahrrea, we give them canned pumpkin. I heard about it from a vet tech, I think it's supposed to be constipating. I would suggest you take the puppy to the vet if you haven't already done so. I'm sure you want to make sure she's healthy.

Tabitha

No don't feed the puppy beans. You could feed it moistened puppy chow or canned puppy food. No milk it causes diarrhea. Dogs are lactose intolerant. Please call a Vet on Monday. Over the phone advice should be free.

Tabitha answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vance CGC

You NEED to get this puppy to a vet ASAP. The diarrhea could be caused by a serious illness; not necessarily the cow's milk.

Right now you should be feeding a dog milk replacer, like ESBILAC. I wouldn't mix anything into it until you've had a chance to speak with a vet.

Vance CGC answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gabi

If your puppy has diarreah, try some organic yogurt and rice.

Gabi answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ebony Mae

not so sure about the bean thing, but i would do the vet to make sure she doesn't have parasites. many things bring on diarrhea, but you really want to rule out parasites or any other illness then you can move on to the rice and chicken broth. :)

Ebony Mae answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maximillion Bear Bonapardt

The puppy needs something called esbilac. Esbilac is equal to mother's milk. You could pick it up at yuor local petstore, make sure you get the one that comes with the bottle

Maximillion Bear Bonapardt answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Absolutely not.

If your puppy were still with his mother at this age, he would most likely still be nursing. Many breeders start giving puppies puppy mush along with their mother's milk around 4 to 5 weeks old since this is when puppies' milk teeth start growing in.

Puppy mush consists of a dry puppy food, puppy milk replacement, and warm water, all blended up (in a blender, not just mixed together!) into a kind of soggy cereal. It's fed 4 to 6 times throughout the day.

This is what I would start your puppy on. You can purchase the milk replacement at pet stores, like Petsmart, and you can probably also get it at your vet's.

At this point, you really need to make an appointment with the vet to have him seen ASAP. Diarrhea can be caused by many things and it's a very serious problem in puppies since they're so small and dehydrate easily. Until you can be seen, worry mostly about keeping puppy hydrated.

Feed him NO people food, not even rice and chicken broth. He's too young.

Lucky  ~3/4/94 - 4/22/08~

Stop feeding the puppy what you are feeding it and get in the car and drive it to an actual vets office with a stool sample. The list of medical contagious things this pup could have is a long one, and it needs to be treated immediately. Diarreah WILL kill this puppy if it is not tested and treated by a vet at a vet's office.

Loose the people food altogether and go to the pet store and by stage two puppy formula. It is more of a mash than a milk and it what the puppy needs nutritionally at this stage.

And by all means necessary keep this puppy completely quarentined in your house if you touch it you wash your hands change your shoes and change your clothes before you go anywhere near your other dogs.

Lucky ~3/4/94 - 4/22/08~ answered on 11/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer