Can I breed a half brother with his half sister they have diffrent dads?

I have a male pitbull who came from the same mom as my female pitbull but they have diffrent dads they both are papered and I would hate to mess anything up with the kennle club can I breed them without issues???

Asked by Member 1098355 on Mar 8th 2012 in Breeds

Answers

What does your mentor advise? One of the first things you should do if you are interested in breeding is find someone in your breed to help you along.

Bella

What are you trying to achieve? what are the show titles or amazing traits that these potential parents have that you wish to pass along to a new generation? Sadly I get the impression you dont know or have any idea. Line breeding has been done with half siblings in the past but typically only if there are some amazing qualities that the breeder wants to use to better the breed. Unless you're a professional, it might be best to leave those types of things up to breeders with years of knowledge.

Bella answered on 3/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The only way that can safely be attempted is if you have done EVERY SINGLE health clearance on both dogs and their grandparents and great-grandparents, then you are still running the risk of doubling a recessive gene which can result in blindness, severe hip dysplasia, seizures, or other recessive genes they may be carrying.
Unless you completely know the entire pedigree and the bad they can produce, it is not safe to double lines like that!

Kazba

You may be fine, but other post are right about the possibility of doubling up on the bad things that can happen if you have something that is coming from both sides of the family with diseases.

Kazba answered on 3/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Noelle

Is your pit bull and your mom's pit bull TRUE American pit bull terriers? I highly doubt that.
What kennel club are they registered with? The AKC doesn't register APBTs.

Not only will you be causing possible health problems for the mother dog and bringing inbred pups into the world, you would be causing problems for the pups if they don't find a home. Go to an animal shelter, look at all the dogs. Other than labs, pit bull type dogs and mixes are the most common in shelter and the most common to be put down.

As much as I love pit bulls, the last thing we need is more of them, let alone inbred.

Noelle answered on 3/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer