Can ethoxyquin be completely removed from plastic kibble storage containers?

I used to feed my puppy a kibble that I recently found out contained ethoxyquin. I kept that food in an awesome container, and I want to re-use that container for his new ethoxyquin-free food. Will trace amounts of ethoxyquin remain in the container after a wash or is it safe to use at all?

All answers are appreciated! Thanks!

Asked by Member 930235 on Dec 14th 2009 Tagged toxic, ingredients in Pet Food Recalls

Answers

Sadie

I'm not real sure, I think if you wash it REALLY good and use bleach it should go away.. Good Luck!

Sadie answered on 12/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unfortunately, the reason plastic is not recommended for food storage is that it does absorb things like ethoxyquin and other not so nice stuff. I personally do not know of any way to completely remove stuff that has been absorbed into the plastic. The only thing bleach will do is also be absorbed into the container. I suppose you could use the contain, BUT keep the food in it's original bag within the container.

Even if you wash it carefully, there may be detectable amounts of it. However, detectable is in the parts per billion. Every bit of what little there is isn't going to immediately come out into the new food. Wash it out good and don't worry about it.

Leaving it in the bag, if it will fit, will give you dog more protection by excluding the air than the ethoxuquine. Excluding the air is even more important for foods with less preservatives.

some dog foods are treated with this if they contain fish the additive is used to make the fish not ransid.
I leave kibble in the bag and set it in the container. I have a metal can I bought at a horse supply store
I don't know how long you use the container but plastic is porous and I would throw the container in the trash can.
I think the E is a plastic compound so I am sure it has already absorbed into your container.