Chocolate

can dogs have agave nectar?

I'm trying to make some frozen treats similar to natures variety sweet spots(frozen ice cream for dogs). I don't want to waste money on something you can make by yourself at home.

I looked at the ingredients for sweet spots. And decided to use peanut butter, milk,and honey. I looked around in the cabinet and we have peanut butter and milk but no honey. My parents use agave nectar instead because it's low glycemic and tastes identical to honey. Can I replace it with agave nectar?
thanks

Asked by Chocolate on Sep 19th 2009 in Treats

Answers

NOOOOOOO!
Agave is sweet, natural and a good switch if you don't have honey - for people and only in small amounts.
Agave, like some of the other sweet nectars has a laxative effect if you consume too much. A teaspoon in tea is okay, a cup in cake is exlax!
Dogs don't need sweetener anyway, skip this ingrediant.

Katie

Hi Chocolate!

This would be a question for a vet or dog nutritionist, but I would avoid the sweet stuff like honey or agave nectar. Dogs may like it, but it's not good for them, and there are other ways to make really yummy "ice cream" that will keep them cool and happy in the summer heat.

Since Katie isn't very fond of peanut butter, I make her a treat by pouring a small amount of water in plastic bowl, then adding some small, healthy dog biscuits. I freeze it for a few hours, then pour in some more water to cover the biscuits, and freeze overnight. The next day, I have a bowl-shaped ice cube with treats frozen in the middle! I toss it out in the back yard, and Katie noses it and pushes it around, licking the ice to get at the biscuits.

Sometimes I fill her Kongs with kibble, and top off with a few spoonfuls of wet dog food. I freeze them overnight, and in the morning, she has a frozen breakfast toy to play with. It keeps her happy and busy!

Katie answered on 9/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Hmmm.... why not just buy honey? It's cheaper than agave nectar, and I don't think the dog would notice the difference anyway. And I don't think agave's a laxative, I've eaten store-bought icecream sweetened with it, and it didn't do anything. (Coconut Bliss if you were wondering.)

Dogs don't need sugar of any kind (and yes, honey and agave are natural sugars, but still count) it's bad for their teeth, for one thing. (Just like humans. Dogs don't usually get cavities because they don't eat sugar!)
That said, I don't think a sweet treat once in while is the end of the world. The key is ONCE in a while. Ginger loves ice cream, I usually give her a bite when I'm eating some.

I'd say try a recipe for human ice cream (just not chocolate) and half (or eliminate) the sweetener called for. Give it only in VERY small servings.

To make a long story short, agave is okay, but only use a little bit.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 9/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer