Buzz

can dogs get hiccups?

Whenever my dog gets hiccups he always jumps. It scares me whenever he does it cause he always whimpers whenever it happens. What should I do?

Asked by Buzz on Dec 3rd 2011 Tagged hiccups in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Dogs can get hiccups, yes. You can try offering your dog a treat or water when this happens. Sometimes the action of eating something (a small treat) may help the hiccups pass.
When your dog does get the hiccups, try not to get afraid or nervous about it. This could very well be what is causing your dog to whimper and cry when he gets the hiccups. He is now associating the hiccups with you being freaked out, in turn making HIM nervous. If he won’t eat or drink, try ignoring your dog until the hiccups pass. Once he realizes that hiccups aren’t a big deal, he shouldn’t whimper when it happens. It’s very possible that he’s just reacting to your reaction.

Ikan

Yes they can, I had a puppy years ago, that i was grooming and was very close to him with my face. he hiccuped and his head hit me right in the nose. I know he did not mean it and I saw that he still had them so I could not be mad at him. But boy did he catch me good and it hurt..

Ikan answered on 12/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer