Annie

Can dogs eat mice?

Annie caught the mouse and trapped it inside her mouth. I tried to force her mouth open but she swallowed it whole. Its already been about 12hours and so far she doesn't seem to be sick. She pooped a lot more times today(usually poops 2 times in 12hours but she pooped 5times today). Her poop looks normal though. Should I be worried? Is it normal for dogs to chase and eat mice? This is the first time i saw a dog eat a mouse (not sure if she does it at night while I'm asleep).

Asked by Annie on Jun 18th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It's normal for dogs to chase small animals- it's their instinct to hunt and chase. But it's not a desireable behavior in the modern world since people now put out so many poisons for the "vermin".

If she seems to be fine I wouldn't worry about her eating the mouse this time, but try not to let her do it again since you run the risk of contracting yucky internal parasites.

Miss Buddie

Dogs have a strong prey drive and will sometimes consume what they catch. Just watch her and make sure she's not acting out of sorts or starts vomiting. My only concern would be what the mouse might be carrying.

If all else fails, give your vet a call to put your mind at ease.

Miss Buddie answered on 6/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it's ok and perfectly normal. I certainly wouldn't encourage her to do it again--blahh. I would also have her dewormed for internal parasites, including tapeworms, on a regular basis.

dogs will eat any thing that goes into their mouth IF they can swallow it. humans no how to spit ansd swallow toothpaste but dogs dont. thats why dog toothpaste is only ok its safe too swallow and most dogs hate mint flavor our toothpaste makes em sick too.
some dogs have high prey drives which means they may chase anything. as long as it can fit in their mouth and they can swallow it, its lunch time baby! dogs may eat feces, (poop) and dirt and othere nasty stuff but dogs have a natural instinct. we would never want mice on our dinner plate! foul thing s to us out terribly satisfying to a dog, cuz threy have far fewer tastee buds and cannot really taste it enough to be crowned foul, they have about one tastebud for every six WE have. there fore its natural for dogs to eat mice. our cats kill birds bugs mice rabbits, even bring them in the house! they look fine even after they eat it. if your dog uses the potty alot more often its probably just the case of a belly ache! let dogs eat!!

Well, I wouldn't allow a dog to eat mice. Just because they are dogs doesn't mean they can eat anything. They have been domesticated and don't have the iron clad stomach that some people believe they do.

Dogs can still quite easily become seriously ill from other animals and one has to wonder if your (Guest's) dogs are able to catch those animals so readily because they are weakened from illness.

Rabies and other deadly (not to mention human transmittable) viruses are out there. They do exist and I would never encourage a dog owner to "let them eat" anything like that.

Now, with Annie, she will most likely be fine. I'd be more worried about her if she ate a dead mouse, but this is probably no big deal. I would't be too worried unless you see abnormal symptoms, which you are already being dilligent about looking for.

Koby

I doubt the mouse will harm her, but I would worry about rodent poisons and parasites.

Koby answered on 6/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer