Yokie

Can dogs eat hot dogs?

I have a male pomeranian, 2 years.
I was making hot dogs for my sister, but than I drop 1 whole hot dogs with no buns or anything,
than Yokie was eating it.
Will he be sick or he will die?

(best answer give details)

Asked by Yokie on Oct 26th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Rusty

He may be sick - think throwing up, or diarrhea - but he won't die. Probably won't even get sick, although it depends on how sturdy his stomach is.

In fact, I used to use tiny pieces of hot dog as training treats for Rusty. (You'll see that suggested in lots of places.)

Rusty answered on 10/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If he's not used to it, he may get upset stomach and diahrea (sp). I've used hotdogs as training treats, they're okay. I only quit using them because the brand I was using contained corn syrup. While it won't hurt the dogs in small amounts, I just don't want them eating that stuff.

Beef hotdogs are fine, pork is not. Pork can make the dog very sick.

Seth

I would not make it the main meal for the dog all the time. But i do know alot of dog show people that use hotdogs as bate for their dogs in the ring.

Seth answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm sure there are those who will disagree but my mother (I'm now 48) fed our French Poodle half a package of Safeway beef franks each day and he lived to 17 years!

I have a new Schnoodle and with the exception of looking for no nitrate or kosher dogs I plan on the same. I'll supplement with veggies etc but that will be her main protein.