Roscoe the Racehound™

Can dogs eat corn?

My neighbor gave my dog some dried corn on the cob, and at first he didn't like it, so I put it on the shelf, but when it fell and kernels blasted everywhere he began to scarf them down immediately then persisted on eating the whole cob. Is it okay for him to eat corn? I know he has a sensitive stomach and if this will upset his stomach, or may be poisonous I want to be sure he doesn't get anymore of it.

Asked by Roscoe the Racehound™ on Dec 17th 2007 Tagged food, corn, feeding, treats in Food & Nutrition

Answers

suzie

did he eat the husk if so the may need to see a vet
sometimes the husk (bit witch the corns on)can cause
a bowl blockage

suzie answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

DEMON

THE VET TOLD ME TO STAY AWAY FROM CORN, IT IS HARD FOR THE DOGS TO DIGEST. THAT IS WHY THEY TOOK IT OUT OF MOST OF THE DOG FOODS. JUST PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO HIM AND SEE IF HIS BATHROOM HABITS HAVE CHANGED. CORN GAVE MY DOG LOOSE STOOLS NOTHING A LITTLE WHITE RICE AND CHICKEN COULDN'T FIX.
I NEVER HEARD OF CORN BEING POISONOUS. AS FAR AS THE HUSK THING GOES. I NEVER HEARD OF THAT. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GIVE THE VET A CALL JUST IN CASE.

DEMON answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chloe

I would keep from giving him corn to a complete minimum, (once a year is being generous), because consider the "regular" thought on corn just within a diet of dog food: it's not highly recommended. It's not easy to digest at all - even for humans it'll come out whole; this means it doesn't help the body with any needed nutrients.

Also consider that in a real life scenerio: when would a wild dog ever encounter jumping up to a husk to grab corn to eat? It doesn't make sense.

Just because a dog knowingly devours something doesn't mean "he likes it". It sounds like it was an accident afterall, but do look into if the center was eaten too. Look at other things humans eat from nature but not eat what "holds it together": apple cores, grape stems, pinapple leaves & stem. If we don't eat it- why let your dog?

Monitor bowel movesments for sure & keep a "military schedule" with eating times so it's easier to note an inconsistancy.

Chloe answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Teva

Eating corn is like drinking mountain dew. You shouldn't do either. Check out Paw Naturaw Organic, Frozen, Raw diets on Amazon.com.

Teva answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer