Diamond Princess

Can dogs eat certain human foods?

I was wondering which human foods dogs can and can't eat?

Asked by Diamond Princess on Nov 6th 2007 Tagged dogfood in The Dogster Website

Answers

Things dog should NOT eat:
Chocolate
Nuts
Chicken bones and some others.

I know that dogs can eat peanut butter and cream cheese, but I don't know what else.

I allow my dogs to eat anything healthy with the exception of Chocolate, grapes & raisins. There is a small list of human foods that can harm pets. Actually, I don't allow them to eat commercial dog food. Since I eliminated dog food from their diet they are healthier than ever.

Lily

There are quite alot of foods not to feed your dog because these foods can be toxic for them. This website has a list of foods to avoid and what problems each food can cause. www.peteducation.com

Lily answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Moxie

Check out this thread:

www.dogster.com

Moxie answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

photos1.blogger.com

That link goes to a printable "flier" that lists foods that are dangerous to dogs and cats. It's a handy list to have on hand for quick reference.

I should point out that some of the items included on that list are included because they *can* be dangerous, depending on the quantity. Some of them you can feed safely if you feed them sparingly (such as liver), some of them are really poisonous.

Generally, my advice would be - if you're in doubt, don't feed it at all. Which is why those things are included on the list.

SOME PEOPLE THINK IT IS BETTER TO FEED THEIR PETS PEOPLE FOOD . I LIKE FEEDING MY PETS THEIR OWN DOG FOOD. THEY NEVER HAVE GAS AND THEY DONT HAVE DIARREA. IM ALWAYS AFRAID OF THAT. I DO HOWEVER AS TREATS GIVE MY DOGS CHICKEN BREAST OR ANOTHER KIND OF MEAT. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO FEED A DOG CHOCOLATE RAISINS AND GRAPES. AT DOG TRAINING THEY TAUGHT US THAT IT COULD CAUSE RENAL FAILURE.

A basic list can be found here:
www.peteducation.com

A toxic/non-toxic plant list can be found here (make sure you know which one is which, non-toxic list or toxic list):
www.sniksnak.com

I would recommend printing these out and keeping these somewhere safe, like in a kitchen cupboard, medicine cabinet or a pet first aid kit. You might want to add them to your computer's favourite list also. You'll find these lists quite helpful, and they're quick and easy to find if you have them on hand!

If you suspect that your dog has eaten something dangerous, and perhaps the list confirms it, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Line. More information can be found here:
www.aspca.org

Much lovin',
:-: Jessie

♥Juneau♥

Dogs can't eat raisons or grapes, onions, chocolate, mostly because it can/will make them become very ill, and to most dogs it is fatal. Also, dairy foods such as ice cream can make dogs feel yucky inside, and give them stomach aches. Hope I could help!

♥Juneau♥ answered on 11/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer