Can baby shampoo be used on a puppy or dogs face.

Asked by Member 973214 on Mar 12th 2010 Tagged canbabyshampoobeusedonpuppiesordogs in Grooming

Answers

Chloe

I'm not a professional but when we took Chloe for her 1st vet check-up the vet said to use Baby Shampoo on her.
She had a few fleas on her from her mama and the irresponsible breeder >_<
Be careful not to get the shampoo in the puppy's eyes and and try not to get water in it's ears.
I use Wal-Mart brand :) I have a lot on hand. I'm a makeup artist and I clean my brushes with Baby Shampoo also.

Chloe answered on 3/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baby shampoo isn't a great idea. It's formulate for our skin and hair and we have a totally different pH balance to our skin than dogs.

Just one shampoo on a dog who is sensitive can cause irritated skin or dryness.

I'd stick with shampoo formulated for dogs or puppies. They do have no tear formulas in dog shampoo.

Jet

That is an interesting question! I would not recommend it, because it will dry out and irritate your dog's skin alot. Also, be sure to not get even one drop of water in your dog's ears because all dogs get ear infections easily. You need to put cotton balls in your dog's ears. I am becoming a groomer soon, so I would know.

Jet answered on 3/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bo

I have to use baby shampoo on Bo. He has very sensitive skin. I have used all of the expensive, prescription and all natural shampoos on him. They have all made his belly red and irritable. Baby shampoo is the only thing that has never irritated his skin.

As far as my dogs face/eyes, I use a wet wash cloth with very little shampoo. I rinse it with a wash cloth as well. I use a very well wrung wash cloth on their ears with no soap at all. This works just fine for me.

Gidget is my only dog that likes to dunk her head in the tub of water. The others don't like their faces sprayed and it makes bathing them more difficult. They are calm unless the shower sprays their face. The washcloth feels good to them.

If your puppy needs to shake his ears, let him, you may have gotten a little water in it and he needs to be able to shake it out.

You can try baby shampoo, but look for dry skin/ breakouts/itching, to make sure it works for your puppy, as it may not work for all skin types.

Bo answered on 3/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't as it is formulated for humans and it contains dyes and fragrances.
that's my take on it.
they have puppy shampoos and puppy tearless shampoos for the same amount of money.
If you are using it for a wipe they do sell a doggie wipe at petco. It is made by Nature Miracle and I have used them before.
they are formulated for dogs.
good luck

I would say it depends on what detergents/chemicals are in the shampoo. A very mild shampoo which is safe to use on a puppy and the face area is called PETfection Puppy Suds. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic and is specifically designed to not dry out the dogs skin or irritate their eyes or mouth. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com.

I work in a dog grooming salon and use baby shampoo on dogs faces every day. it will not hurt them.