Bandit

Can anyone give some advice on the breed of this dog?

Hey guys,
I picked up this dog at the local shelter about 2 years ago now. When I got him at 7 months old he was said to be a Shepherd/Husky mix. I always thought that he was. Recently we were adopting another dog from the shelter and I wanted to bring Bandit back to meet her to make sure they would get along. The staff at the shelter basically pushed me out the door and told me the dog was not allowed in there and to leave the premises because he "HAD" to be part timberwolf. It doesn't matter to me what he really is, he is a great dog I would just like to know what you guys think as i've contacted the vet and they said a blood/dna test would not show up wolf (wild animal)

Is it possible that he's a Coydog?
Here are 4 pictures of him all before he was 2 years old.
s1048.photobucket.com

Asked by Bandit on Apr 3rd 2012 in Mixed Breeds

Best Answer

Shasta

He does look like the possibility of a wolf. However, there's also always the possibility that he could have some 'wolfdog' breed such as Tamaskan dog or Saarloos Wolfhond. Those chances are very very low.

I have seen many husky/GSD/malamute/akita/etc mixes that looked very very wolfish & had no wolf in them... on the flipside I have seen very dog-like dogs who had feral in them. E.G. my mutt, Shasta, he is supposed to be 1/4 wolf [people I got him from said his dad was lab/wolf cross]... his looks resemble no wolf, but gosh he can act like one when he sees new dogs [believe me, he's the sweetest thing in the world though, I haven't told him he's got 'feral' and don't plan to anytime soon. He only knows he's a sweet baby boy.]

Shasta answered on Apr 4th.

Answers

I believe he is Shepherd/Wolf. I might be wrong, but I think he is. :)

~*Pepper*~

If there is any wolf there, which I doubt, it is extremely low content. I can totally seee gsd & husky.

roscoe

Based on pics, I'd say Wolf/Shep mix. His legs seem a little long for a Shep and his build is wrong for a Husky. Sheps and wolves can physically resemble each other especially in markings and coloring. As long as you love him and he's a good companion I'd tell everyone else to hush.

roscoe answered on 4/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Carter

Ive seen dogs that looked like they had wolf in them but didnt. specially the husky/German Shepherd mix. But as for bringing the dog back into the shelter to meet the other dog is a bad idea not because of suspicion of what breed of dog it is but the fact if he was sick and you didnt know(didnt show any symptoms) all the other dogs would get that sickness as well.

Carter answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer