Guest

Can Adequan cause death?

My dog was on injection 4 of Adequan. She had a blood test and everything was great. The shots were helping her walk better. The day after the 4th injection she started coughing, then the next day didn't want to eat, and on the following day threw up violently and was so weak she couldn't stand up. Took her to the vet and her blood sugar was 700. She is also a diabetic. By 4 pm she was dead. Vet said she died of respiratory distress. Said she threw up blood. She was perfectly fine before her last dose. I think they accidentally gave her two doses. I am devestated. Am wondering if anyone else had problems with Adequan and warn those with diabetic dogs to be very careful.


Asked by Member 1134792 on Oct 8th 2012 Tagged adequan, diabetic, death in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12)

I googled that med and it's hard to find much about it. I did find the following link. Just scroll down until you come to that med. That's all I could find. I'm really sorry to hear you lost a friend. Hugs......
www.squidoo.com


Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12) answered on 10/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Colt

As a prior vet nurse I have dealt with adequan injections and diabetic animals, I myself is diabetic and I know its hard to control diabetes. It could have not been the injection but the insulin. Not very many people know insulin can and will go bad very easily. It is possible that the injection could have caused the high reading but it was the result of the diabetes that killed your pet. 700 is extremely bad last time I was that high i was in a coma and my family never knew I had diabetes.


Colt answered on 10/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Divot (3/6/04 -11/14/12) RIP

What kind of dog did you have?I had an Eng.bulldog & he had 4 shots too.He ended them on Oct 20,'12.He started acting in a sense abnormal.We dress up for H-ween & he seemed depressed. He had an eye appt on Nov 5 & still didn't seem like himself but was still eating.He still played with his same toy, a squeaky ball.On Nov 1 & 2 I had a sinus infection,then he started coughing. I honestly thought he had caught my infection since I was running fever.I got him an anti botic Nov 6 for the cough.By Nov 10,he had completely quit eating. He had severe diarrea, then mucus and a blood clot in what I had found.I had no clue what was going on,what I researched & found was,Colonitis that was Nov 10,11. He still had not eaten but drank water, Nov.12, took him in to the vet. They said he could have liver cancer.So we had an ultrasound done.He was showing tumors in his pancrease. They took his blood before all this, unfortunately my baby passed Nov 14. I'm contacting the maker of Adaquin, seriously!


Divot (3/6/04 -11/14/12) RIP answered on 11/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


More Questions in This Category