can a female get pregnant by two different dogs at the same time

my chihuahua looks to have had puppies from both my winner dog and my 70lb german shepard can that happen?

Asked by Member 1036093 on Jun 3rd 2011 in Answers

Answers

A female can have up to 3 different males in one heat, thus having different puppies in a litter.

A female can actually have puppies from as many males as the number of them that breed her while she is ovulating. There is no limit to the number.

Yes, it can happen. You are lucky your bitch survived, frankly. Please fix all your dogs so this type of irresponsible breeding does not happen again. Leave breeding to professional breeders. There are tons of chihuahua-daschund dogs in shelters & I just feel sorry for the chi-gsd pups.

Yes, she can. I definitely recommend you to spay and neuter all of your dogs.

Just three? Eh, I've never read about any specific number, but the claim that a female can mate with up to three males (and no more) in a heat seems kinda out there...I mean no disrespect...^^;

I was told that it is possible for there to be a different sire for each individual pup (though, this would be rare, two or three sires is definitely much more likely to happen), and there can be over ten in one litter sometimes.

Anywho, enough sidetracking. To answer the original question, yes, it could happen.

For future reference, a small female dog mating with a large male can cause big problems. Chihuahuas have to have C-sections a lot as it is, mating with a male that's considerably larger than them can cause them to have puppies that are so large they cannot be born in the normal way.
I'm glad to know that this wasn't the case in this instance, though.