can a female dog be unfixed?

Asked by Member 839225 on May 23rd 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers

Yes but it is far less healthy for them.

Bilbo NAP NJP CGC

Seeing as you're asking this question, I wouldn't do it in your case.

It just seems like your asking for trouble if you do not spay your dog.

Bilbo NAP NJP CGC answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Um...wait, I thought that once a dog is spayed it can't be undone? ???

Guest, any particular reason why you would want to have your dog un-spayed? If for breeding purposes, even if it were possible to un-spay her, you'd need at the very least two years of thorough research, time spent with a mentor, and you'd really need to make sure that she's breeding quality, which includes doing several genetic health tests (OFA, CERF, and others, NOT just a vet check), evaluating her to her breed's standard, and making sure that she can do what her breed was originally bred for by having her titled in it.

My website is an introduction to the *basics* of responsible breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

I dunno about everyone else, but at our vet, we take the Ovaries and Uterus out. So, my answer would be - no. Cause ya can't really put em back in...even if you could find them lol

I do know several dogs that are chemically neutered (but those are males) and i'm not familiar with reversing that.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

No, when a dog is spayed they remove certain organs, even if you could find them there would be no way of putting them back in. Why would you want to unfix a dog? If it's for breeding purposes pay attention to Bears answer. I've seen the effects a uninformed breeder can have and their not pretty.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 5/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

Now they take out the uterus as well as all the other female reproductive organs.
So, she is better off being spayed.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 5/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

Well, if they can, then don't. Keeping a female dog spayed is a very important thing. You must keep her that way. If you were planning on breeding your dog, then please don't! There are enough unwanted dogs and puppies in this world.

Sparky answered on 5/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I certainly wouldn't think so. Unlike human tying the tubes or a vasectomy, as mentioned, the uterus and ovaries are removed and gone for good.

I think spay/neutering by 6 months is best for all but the healthiest and best behaved.