CAN A DOGS LEGS FALL ASLEEP?

I have a 4 year old Labrador she is in good health but this morning she woke up and was not able to use her back legs, all she could do was drag herself with her front legs it only lasted for a minute or so and she didn't seem to be in any pain, I think she was scared because she didn't understand what was going on. She has no signs of hip problems and is very active, Do dogs legs fall asleep or could it be the start of a problem.

Asked by Member 807822 on Feb 23rd 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Just like humans, yes, dogs' legs can fall asleep. If they lay in a certain way to where blood is not getting to that limb, it could fall asleep. I do, however, find it somewhat strange that it happened to both of her hind legs at the same time, but I do not know how she was sleeping either.

If you are concerned, I would make a phone call to your vet and see if he/she thinks that you need to bring your dog in. Their legs CAN fall asleep, but it's best to check to make sure it isn't anything more serious.

Best of luck.

Sergeant answered on Feb 23rd.

Answers

Dante

Their legs can fall asleep just like ours, but just like when our legs fall asleep-we can still move them. I am concerned that she had some momentary paralysis and would have her checked by your vet. She could have hip dysplasia, luxating patellas, or painful arthritis. If she had one of these joint conditions, she wouldn't necessarily show symptoms all the time. For example, if she had hip dysplasia, her joint may shift when she is only in certain positions.

Dante answered on 2/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boo

Are you sure she wasn't just stretching? I have 4 dogs, 2 of them labs and they do this when they get up. They do it when they get of furniture too, the have their front feet on the ground and then slowly pull their back legs straight off and walk around like that for just a little.

some dogs do goofy things, if it continues and she doesn't seem in pain, she might just have discovered a new way to stretch. One of my dogs also lays like a frog on his belly with his back legs straight on back and will walk like this just using his front legs.

Boo answered on 2/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Is there any way she could have gotten into macadamia nuts? If so, you want to keep them out of her reach in the future. Eating macadamia nuts can cause this. If not, I tend to doubt both legs would fall asleep at the same time. The only thing that has ever made mine do that is sitting with my legs or hiney over a bar or rim. No way she was doing that, right? I would call my vet and see what he/she says. It sounds more like something to do with her spine. The vet will probably want to see her. If so, I'd take her in ASAP! Good luck!