Can a dog somehow carry rabies and show no symptoms?

My pet dog broke the skin with me a little while we were playing, about 2 or 3 weeks ago. He has had his rabies vaccination, but now off and on I'm getting spells of my throat feeling paralyzed, where I can't even swallow, and I'm freaking out a bit. My dog shows no signs of rabies, and has hid his shots for the year, but is it possible for a dog to be a carrier of the disease and not suffer from it? I guess at this point it doesn't even matter, because if I do have rabies and it's to the point where I'm having difficulty swallowing, I'm already dead, right? But I'm still wondering...

Asked by Member 989721 on Jun 1st 2010 Tagged dog, rabies in Illness & Disease

Answers

You need to see a doctor. No, a dog that has rabies can not survive. It will become worse and worse. The final stage is when the animal is obviously sick, drooling, walking hunched over like a bear and then wants to bite and attack anything it sees, whether a threat or not.
You may have to seek out help immediately. A cut with bacteria can attack the body in many ways. Tetanus shots are to be done every 10 yrs. I am in fact, allergic to the shot.
But, most people forget to get this as it is every 10 yrs.
Most likely the dog is not infected. The dog will show definate signs by now in a few days.
good luck, I hope you are going to be alright.

www.webmd.com

People get scratched and biten all the time by their own dogs. Vaccinated dogs can't have rabies or give it to any other dog or person.

There have not been any cases of people getting rabies from a dog in the USA or Canada.

There have been cases of Americans getting rabies from dogs in Africa, Central and South America.

In the USA the only animal which has transmitted rabies to humans are bats. If you see a bat, leave it alone, do not try to kill it, just get away. Most bats are normal and harmless, but don't take chances anyway.

And yes, once you have symptoms of rabies it is 100 % fatal. Only one person in 2004 survived.

You should see a therapist about your anxiety if it starts to take over your life. My marriage is on shaky ground because my husband would not get treatment for years. I took care of him, but now I want out-normal-someone to care for me.

Don't be your own victim.

Could there be some other cause for your not being able to swallow? I know i have trouble with my throat because of allergies. And i did not start getting them until i was late in my 30's. I would go to the doc and see what he says. But i do not think it is rabies.