Can a dog have puppies from different fathers at the same time?

I have a blue heeler that I thought was expecting puppies with our black Lab. The puppies were born yesterday and only 2 look like him. One looks like a boxer (which a neighbor has), one is pure white and another black and white. I really don't know anything about this, I appreciate any help!

Asked by Member 607337 on Mar 13th 2008 in Puppies

Answers

Yes, it is absolutely possible for puppies in the same litter to have different fathers.

That said, you really need to be a more responsible dog owner. First, cross-breeding two different breeds of dog is almost never a good idea because you don't know what you will get. Even with the proper testing for health and genetics, it's still a gamble of what you're gonna get.

Second, a female in heat should be separated from all intact males in her surroundings. That means your dog AND all the neighborhood dogs. NEVER ever leave a female in heat unsupervised, even in your yard. Another dog can easily get into the yard and get her pregnant.

Third, the responsible thing to do is having all your pets spayed and neutered as soon as possible. Make an appointment to have this done now. Your female can be spayed once the pups are weaned, your male can be neutered now.

REQUIRE all puppy buyers / takers to spay or neuter the puppies. PUT IT IN THE CONTRACT!

Cooper

Yes they can.
At least in part, for the same reason that dogs are likely to be the hardest type of mammal to clone. The egg is not matured fully when released from the ovaries but continues to mature during it's travel through the fallopian tube. The eggs are also released individually, not all at once.
This trait is thought to increase the likelihood of cuckolding which would in turn increase diversity without disturbing the pack structure, which is essential to the success of wild dog types.

Cooper answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lady

The short answer is yes.

But, I'm concerned that you've allowed your dog to get "knocked-up" like that. Why would you even allow your Heeler to mate with your black lab? This is a huge peeve of mine - that non-breeders like you decide to breed their dogs. Both of your dogs should be altered. A breeder would never breed two different breeds like you've done. I just hope that you do the responsible thing and find good homes for the puppies and pray they do not end up in the pound or worse.

Please, please spay/neuter your animals.

Lady answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Freckles Cuddle-Me-Lots

I just want to say that the assumption that a person "let" their dog get pregnant, or that they intentionally bred their dog from the initial post seems a bit out of line. Lighten up folks.... dogs have been doing 'the deed' for thousands of years outside of their "breed" and these uppity opinions of pure breed superioroiy in some of these replies is a bit hollow..... I apologize to the guest.

Freckles Cuddle-Me-Lots answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oh yeah, happens all the time.
Please get your dog spayed after the puppies are weaned!

Yes...Litters can be duel sired!
& Freckles,...It is NOT about breed snobbery but more about the fact of irresponsible breeders adding to the pet overpopulation problem!!!
You speak of total ignorance, Freckles.
I hope you will grow up & LEARN!
Chelle who breeds for the love of my breed & also rescues!

In Loving Memory DeeJay 00-08

What are you doing breeding if you have no idea about what can happen, and why is your female running round while on heat?

In Loving Memory DeeJay 00-08 answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Errinna

I agree with freckles I do not think it inopropriate if two dogs of a diffrent breed have a litter as a resonsable owner you should find a good home for the puppies but I have a problem with people lectureing someone else on what they should or should'nt do in regards to there own pets it is the same as telling a parent how to raise their child and I cant help but think "who are you to judge?" you would not take kindly to somone telling you "how dare you let your kid play in the sandbox its dirty!" so dont bash someone you dont know

Errinna answered on 3/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer