Can a dog get HPV or genital warts if the owner has them?

I only ask this question for the health of my dog.I'm worried b/c before this diagnosis for me he kept getting into my dirty laundry(underwear in particular and when i came home i would find it on the floor all wet in the crotch area like he licked them or something some he chewed through completely.I know how contagious this is for humans and that is why i wanted to know if i need to take him to a vet if this puts his health at risk.

Asked by Member 768682 on Nov 15th 2008 Tagged hpv, genital, warts, viruses in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Bailey

I don't know, but I would call your Vet and ask. I am not sure if they could even treat it but I honestly don't know. Good Luck and try and keep your underwear away from your dog.

Bailey answered on 11/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cooper

Remember it's also important to keep your laundry away from him so he doesn't eat it. Underwear and other clothing like socks can get stuck in his intestinal tract and require surgery for removal.

I know it seems gross but he's probably attracted to your laundry because it smells like you and misses you when you're gone.

Cooper answered on 11/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Starbutt

I would say NO, you got it from sexual contact so for the dog to get it I would say NO.
As far as I know the dog can't get it.
Ask vet.

Starbutt answered on 11/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would have to say NO as well. I don't believe a dog can catch a human STD but a quick phone call to the vet should set your mind at ease.
I hope all goes well for you. It's probably a hard thing to deal with and props to you for thinking of your pet as well.

All I can state is your vet proabably wont do anything if you have HPV unless it gets out of control. Yes dogs can get it as mine has it (haven't figured out how yet since none of his care takers have had it). It goes around by doggie day cares and can be passed from one dog to another the vet told me. However I'm unsure if dogs get it from humans or not I know humans can't get it from a dog. Hope this helps!