Can a dog get along with a cat and a parrot?

I have a cat and an African grey parrot in the house. I really want a dog but I am afraid of the dog hurting either the cat or the bird.

I would love to hear some advice from anyone with experience in this situation.

Thanks

Asked by Member 1117809 on Jun 27th 2012 Tagged parrot, cats, dogs, africangrey in Choosing the Right Pet

Best Answer

Sampson

Yes, it can certainly work out. Sampson is now very gentle with both cats and birds (we have chickens.) When he first came here, he was praised for gentle behavior around them, and scolded for aggressive behavior.(Mostly just puppy curiosity and exuberance, but better to nip it early.) Always on leash in the beginning.

If you get a dog, either get a puppy of a breed that is normally gentle and non-predatory, (to have the best chance of training success) or choose an adult (of any breed) that has been tested on prey animals and is not too interested. A dog that is good with cats will probably be good with birds once they get used to them. Avoid dogs that have already learned to chase and hunt prey, it's hard to break that habit.

And of course, don't leave the animals unsupervised together! Kennel the dog or put it in a different room when you're away, just to be safe. You can decide later if it's not necessary.

Sampson answered on Jun 27th.

Answers

Well it will take sometime for a dog to get used to the cat and the bird but they will get along. Your dog may require behavioural training before that.Do not let loose the dog until your not very sure of his behaviour, crate train him so you can put him in it while you are away. Gradually the dog will get along with your other pets

Seth

I have never had a bird. But we have always had cats in the house with dogs. You just have to train them not to go after the other animals and you should be fine

Seth answered on 6/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer