Alikazam

Camping with dogs?

We have a new camper and plan to take trips with both dogs and humans. Anyone have any tips and suggestions on making things safe and enjoyable?

Asked by Alikazam on Dec 22nd 2010 Tagged camping, safety in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

I love camping with a dog!

I think it's useful to train the dog to get into and out of the car on command, so they don't barrel out into a busy parking lot or a gas station unleashed...

Also remember to bring a sturdy tie-out for when you can't completely supervise them... loose dogs running around in camp grounds, big no-no.

I haven't had any "issues" camping with Bruno or Ginger before him. They both enjoyed it. My only other tip is to just use common sense. Be courteous to other campers, pick up the poop, don't let your dogs bark all night when people are trying to sleep, and be careful of traffic in parking lots, etc.

❤  Sadie ❤

along with what Bruno said, try to desensitize them to anything unusual to them such as the camper and anything you might come upon at the camp site that they might find fearful of.

❤ Sadie ❤ answered on 12/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you are going somewhere that is not a campground, then it is useful to have a reflective, or light-up collar for night time. If there is room, take Ali's bed, or a blanket she knows is her spot. A doggie/human firstaid kit & a copy of her vet records (or at least your vet's phone #) in case of emergency. Camping with dogs is a ton of fun...happy trails!

My dogs LOVE camping! I have a folding expen that I take with us for them to be in while we are setting up the tent and cooking, etc.
I always treat them with advantix before leaving since it works great to repell mosquitoes and other biting insects. I keep a martingale collar on them at all times and it has a tag with my cell phone number and my vet's phone number on it, just in case.
We bring water from home so as not to upset their stomachs, and we also have a doggy first aid kit with basics such as antibiotic ointment, tape and gauze pads, scissors, etc. Don't forget to add something like pepto bismol to soothe their stomach if they should have an upset.
Always remember to keep them shaded and cool, especially if you will be parking in the sun!
Have fun!!!