boarding kennel trauma

My 7 month old rottie stayed in boarding for two nights , since she came home she has been very subdued, sleeping round the clock with no interest in excercise, she has been licking her paws constantly, most probably due to sctratching the floor(no cuts or visable irritation), should i be so worried or is she just exhausted from the experince? I would not have left her there if it had not been absolutely necessary? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Asked by Member 1083119 on Apr 9th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

We had a Golden we boarded once and the employee taking care of him beat him. He came back skittish and head shy. We couldn't make quick movements or pick up anything that resembled a stick. I was young and stupid at that time. I felt like the worst pet parent on the planet. I took some extra time with him to get him over it. After about a week or two he was back to normal. I couldn't ever board him again. Since then, I've found this great kennel where we occasionally board our guys. They come back very tired, which is a good thing. They get back to normal after a few days. By the way, the employee that beat our Golden was fired. It was many years ago. The laws were different then or he would have been arrested for animal abuse.

I used to board my dogs all the time. Then I saw the kennels/dog runs. Never again.

If you must board, inspect the dog runs. Bring your own food, portioned in zip lock baggies and labeled. Bring a towel or blanket from home knowing it will need to be thrown away.

They do get tired. The dogs bark all the time so none of them rest. They may not eat well.

Keep an eye on her for signs of real illness, otherwise just let her rest.
I'm sure she's glad to be home.