Winnie

Blue Merle Border Collies?

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen or heard of blue merle border collies. I saw one at the vet's office the other day. It looked more like an Australian SHepherd only with a tail. I looked it up and the Canadian Kennel Club and the AKC both said they were not colour options.
I feel like she got scammed.

Asked by Winnie on Jul 29th 2009 Tagged bluemerlebordercollies in Border Collie

Answers

A Border Collie book I have has lots of pictures of blue merle BCs and says that it is a pattern possible in the breed. Whether it's one that disqualifies particular BCs from shows or not, I'm not certain.

Though, it is possible that the dog was an Aussie, too. There a facial, and other, differences between Aussies and BCs besides the tail.

Sassy

Merles are very common around here.
A page with BC colors.
www.bordercolliecolors.com
Here are colors produced by one breeder of performance BCs in my area.
www.bordercollie.tv

Sassy answered on 7/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Auda abu Tayi

As long as she is happy with her dog, she didn’t get “scammed” Some of us love our dogs for who they are and don’t really care much about the political organizations such as the AKC and the sometimes arbitrary guidelines that state what is a good dog.

Auda abu Tayi answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I dont know what AKC website you were looking at, but blue merle is a color option right on this page!
www.akc.org

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have seen that at dog shows all the time. I am sure it is a color they can have

Lex

Was it me..when i took my Blue Merle BC for its 1st jabbs 6 weeks ago a lady asked me if he was Auzi Shepard.. I said no he's a BC Merle and she looked at me doubtingly.. If you have a look on my page you will see a pic of him... Blue Merles are just one of the many colours of BC..:)
.
en.wikipedia.org
.
www.bryningbordercollies.com

Lex answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer