blue heeler

why do blue heeler shed alot? how do we keep them from shedding alot.

Asked by Member 874907 on Sep 9th 2009 Tagged shedding in Instant Messaging

Answers

Enzo

Blue heelers have a inner and outer coat which they shed to keep them in ballence. You can't keep a dog from shedding a lot but there are some simple ways to help you handle it. For some tips go to www.bigpawsonly.com/dog-shedding-heath.htm you can also look on google and type in dog shedding and it will give you some reason why they shed a lot and how to control it.

Enzo answered on 9/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bandit

They are one of those breeds that shed a lot! You can't stop it you can do things to help it. Feeding a better quality food and frequant brushings will help out a lot.

Bandit answered on 9/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

yep, they shed alot.
There is some products on the market, not sure how well they work.
I keep saying I will try one of them
I think one is ShowStopper. Look in the shedding department of the petstore.
I use an undercoat rake. Sometimes they are in the cat section for cheaper.
They are simple to use and the undercoat teeth pull the undercoat that is dead out gently.
see if you can find one of those too.
They are helpful for dogs with undercoats:)
Your dog probaly sheds like mine in the spring and fall.

Feed a decent chow and as little else as possible, seldom if ever bathe the dog, and brush it daily with a soft bristled brush. In peak spring and fall shedding periods, I switch to a wire slicker brush. I was given a Furminator and found it much the same as a slicker brush, but slower on Labs. It did seem to work well on my son's Foxhound, that may have a coat more like the Blue Heeler.