Buzz

Best dog harnesses?

I have a Toy Fox Terrier, and he chews through his harnesses a lot. I know that because he's so small that we can't use collars, so what kind of harness do you recommend? Thanks (:

Asked by Buzz on Nov 9th 2011 in Chewing

Answers

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Does he wear the harness all the time or just for walks? I don't think he should wear it unsupervised if he's chewing it. It's perfectly fine to use collars on small dogs for identification, and just put the harness on him for walking. If he's biting the harness while walking, just keep and eye on him and correct him for chewing, and distract him with a toy or treat or just the chance to sniff and chase stuff.

There are so many kinds of harness, most work great for some dogs and not-so-great for others. It's really a matter of how you use it and what shape your dog is. My Ginger couldn't wear any commercial harness except for sled dog harnesses because of her unusual (for pet dogs, at least) body shape. They would never fit right, even when adjusted.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 11/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Ginger. A harness is extremely dangerous to leave on a dog all the time. Collars are perfectly acceptable for use as identification purposes, AND, once your dog learns how to walk loosely on a leash, can be used for that as well.
The problem with collars and small dogs is that you can easily damage their trachea by allowing them to constantly pull on a collar. If the dog is wearing a collar just for identification purposes it is perfectly fine.
It is also possible that he is chewing his harness because it doesn't fit correctly. I would take him to a pet store and try various harnesses on him and see which looks more comfortable, but I would ONLY use the harness when it is attached to a leash, in other words, when he is out for a walk.