BEST dog food for my Chihuahua?

I am getting a tiny chihuahua puppy soon, (currently she weighs only 14 ounces) and I still haven't decided on the food, the BEST food brand, please, I NEED HELP!?

Asked by Member 769709 on Aug 10th 2010 Tagged chihuahuafoodbest in Pet Food

Answers

Hi, I am new to dogster. We have 3 long haired chihuahuas and have 2 new babies coming at the end of the month. There are several good food brands out there. We like Royal Canin, they have an actual formula for Chihuahua's, but with the econemy we are not able to really afford it and we had to drive at least an hour to get it. So, we looked for something that was very comparable in ingrediants. We found that Rachal Ray's Nutrish is very very close and all natural. What makes it great for us is that we can get it at Wal-mart at a good price. Our "fur" kids are allergic to Wheat and nutrish doesn't have wheat. Our "fur" kids love it! We also have used Beneful Playful Life and they have a puppy formula but it has wheat so we had to stop using it. The person you are getting your "fur"baby should tell you what they are using. Hope this helps. :o) best of luck !

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Hello! Congrats on your new puppy. There is no one "BEST food brand," but many good ones.

Chihuahua puppies have the same nutritional requirements as other pups, so foods sold as "chihuahua food" are just marketing hype. (like royal canin.)

You want to pick one labeled "puppy food" or "all life stages" NOT "adult maintenance." Also look for "small bites" because a baby Chi might have trouble with bigger kibbles.

Most dogsters agree that all the brands sold in the supermarket are not the best, so go to a farm-supply store or pet store for better choices. We generally like Innova, EVO, Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and many more.

I would suggest going to the "Food and Nutrition" section of the dogster forums for even more specific brand recommendations as well as info on how to tell if a food is high quality (Hint: it's not the fancy packaging and TV ads!)

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 8/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cody

There isn't one food that is BEST for EVERY dog - that is why there are so many different options available. You have to do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Some people feed a raw diet, some cook for their dogs, and others buy dog food for their dog.

You will have to start with what the breeder is currently feeding, use it for a few weeks, and then if you want to change you can slowly switch to something else.

With it being such a small puppy, I would look for a puppy food that is either canned or comes in very small kibbles. Since it is a small breed, you might also look for foods that pack in the most high-quality nutrition, because the dog won't eat very much.

If you look in the Forums section of this website, you will see there is a new "small breed" forum where many small breed dog owners have listed what they feed. The Food & Nutrition forum also has many different threads discussing dog food and why people have chosen the diets they feed.

Good Luck!

Cody answered on 8/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you are getting this dog from a responsible breeder, which I hope you are, they will definitely have a food preference and will be able to give you their reasons for wanting the pup on that brand.
Nothing makes me more angry than to provide a little of babies with optimal nutrition for their breed and then have a new puppy person immediately change their food. Not only is this not good for the pup's digestion as a time when stress it at it's highest due to all the other changes in it's life, it can also lead to other nutrition issues further down the line. A responsible breeder has done their own research and they know what works for their dogs. If you have a legitimate reason for wanting to change the pup's diet you should talk this over with her breeder and discuss these changes. A responsible breeder will be able to give you sound, solid reasons why they use the food they do and why you, too, should continue to feed the pup the same food.