Oba

Bernard Barking At The Window... HELP!

Hey there everyone, its been a while since I posted but I have a wonderful male Saint Bernard (unfixed) who just turned 1 year old in Feb.

We all just moved into a new apartment a few months ago with my boyfriend and our unit is on the ground floor.
We LOVE this complex because of how dog friendly it is, but our living room glass door faces the outside walkway where everyone walks their dogs by our apartment. Both of my pups are SUPER dog friendly, but whenever someone walking their dog passes by, my Saint Bernard goes crazy, he barks and jumps at the glass window with his paws out at it! When I call my other dog (a heeler mix), he comes right away and quiets down and sits next to me. But my big ol saint Bernard doesn't! He continues to bark and paw at the glass door and go crazy. Its really annoying at night time and embarrassing during the day.

Does anyone have any advice? Ive tried distracting him and rewarding him when quiet but nothing helps!

Any advice would be lovely!

Asked by Oba on Jun 17th 2013 Tagged barking, people, agression, saint, bernard, st, bark, training in Barking

Answers

Sonny

As with training a solution to any behavior problem, the first thing is to manage/prevent the behavior you want to stop.

I have a Beagle/Golden Ret. mix that did the same thing.
The side lights to my front door were the problem area. It was necessary to make a blockade . You will need to make a St. Bernard sized, to cover the window area, and keep the dog back far enough so that he can't reach the windows.
It doesn't have to block the view, just his access to the window.
In my case I rigged 2 boards together with 'L' brackets. It is wide, tall and deep enough to keep him off the window and frame, but short enough not to block the view. Painted them to match my trim so they are less ugly to look at sitting by my front door.
Depending on his determination, you may have to get creative from there.
Keep working on training. It would be a good time to Neuter as an intact male is more territorial.

Sonny answered on 6/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Proper behavioral training would help. You can take him to a behaviorist.

Sandy

Just covering the windows with something may help then put a couch in front so he can't even get close.

Sandy answered on 6/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer