Max

Beagle/Treeing Walker Coonhound????

Hi guys!! im not sure but i think maybe we might have a Beagle/Treeing Walker Coonhound.In march we were given a Beagle named Max.The lady who gave him to us got him form a pet store. his papers just say beagle,(he is not registered) but everyone that sees him says he is big for a Beagle. My mother in law thinks he is Basset/Beagle mix, and a man we never met before said he raises Beagles think he is Beagle/foxhound mix.... personally i see quite a resemblance in the Beagle/Treeing Walker Coonhound mix. just wondering what you guys think??? it really does not matter if he is all beagle or a mix of something...he is one terrific dog...im just curious...his head is very small compared to his body and his muzzle is very long and narrow. he is about 15-16 inches tall and weighs about 40 pounds.

i169.photobucket.com

i169.photobucket.com

Asked by Max on Jun 18th 2011 in Beagle

Answers

Sonny

Your mother-in-law may be the closest. He does have some basset qualities. Long ears for a Beagle, he looks large, and longer than tall.

It's possible he's just a poor quality Beagle.

Beagles come in 2 sizes and then there are the pet / show versions and the hunting versions.

Like most Beagles, he appears to love his food and his naps, and is a bit chunky. 30 pounds for a male in tip-top shape is normal. A husky beagle could come closer to 40.

I don't think a Fox Hound mix is likely. Fox Hounds are more active all the time.

Sonny answered on 6/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I see a little bit of yellow lab.

Coot

The ears may lean toward Basset, but in some of the pictures they don't look any longer than my Coot's ears. Rule of thumb for Beagle ear proportions, they should come to about the tip of their nose.Weight doesn't exactly say much, as you mentioned on Max's profile page that he's a chunky monkey and needs a diet.
My dog, Coot is 4yr. Is a registered 15in beagle, and weighs 36 pounds of just about pure muscle. There has been discussion in my family that though he's registered Beagle there may have been some Basset in his history somewhere b/c of his stockiness. Coot has very dense bones & deep chested which is more common in bassets.
There may be a taller hound in there because in 1pic he looks taller than Coot who's about as tall as a Beagle should be.
Either way it seems you've found a great pet.

Coot answered on 1/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer