beagle dog wont leave spayed bitch alone help!

I have two beagles one is a ten year old bitch the other is a 4year old dog. For the last 4/5 weeks the dog has been harassing the bitch CONSTANTLY! There is no let up at all. If we try to separate them he just howls and barks without stopping. The bitch is spayed but the dog is complete. I am at my wits end as one of them is going to have to be rehomed if this isn't resolved soon! Please can someone help

Asked by Member 1134922 on Oct 9th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Chase

I have a female spayed dog. I have a couple of friends who adopted male dogs from the same litter.
One friend neutered her pup, the other hasn't. The altered dog will try and play with any dog, but can leave them alone as well.
The unaltered dog will not leave my spayed female alone when we get together.
Other than this one difference, the dogs are very similar in personality. I would recommend neutering your male, and that should stop him acting that way.

Chase answered on 10/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Usually when this starts out of the blue it is a pretty good indication that the female has a urinary tract infection. The smell from the blood cells in the urine is very much like the smell of a female in heat and many dogs react as if they were.
The first step should be to get her to your vet and get a urinalysis done. IF she had a UTI, proper treatment with antibiotics should cure it and your male will return to normal.