ativan 1mg for my dog

my vet has her on is because we moved 900miles away from her home shes not adjusting well. will this hurt her this is a new vet to us. thank you T

Asked by Member 610946 on Mar 22nd 2008 in Senior Pet

Best Answer

Ativan belongs to the same class of drugs as Valium and Xanax. It's a sedative. Long-term use definitely has negative effects (most common are withdrawal effects).

You will definitely want to start weaning your dog off of the drug ASAP after settling in your new home. Proper behavior modification techniques are in order if your pet is exhibiting negative behaviors (whether it be due to a move or other; keeping a dog on a sedative is NOT a solution to the problem).

What behaviors, exactly, is your dog exhibiting that requires sedation? Many dogs and their owners move many miles all the time, and little to no "drug" assistance is necessary (my brother and I recently moved 3000 miles!!!). If you could elaborate on the behavior(s) you're having to deal with, perhaps other suggestions could be offered to help you and your dog with the changes in environment.

Kind regards,

answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

It depends on what is really going on with her and how long the vet wants her to be on this.

Personally, I would do everything in my power to avoid putting my dog on any medication. There are a lot of things you can do first to try and help her adjust.

Dogs really thrive on routine. Being on a predictable schedule is very soothing to a dog and if you can start her on a very strict schedule, in just a couple of weeks you might see an improvement in her mood.

For example, start each morning by taking her for a walk at the exact same time. Then, feed her breakfast (if she eats breakfast) at the same time. Spend a few minutes playing with a toy before you leave for work and leave her with a Kong toy with some treats and wet meat stuffed into it so she has something to do for a while to take her mind off being home alone for a bit.

Then, when you come home, take her straight out for a walk. Again, the same time for the walk, dinner and also another play session before bed.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Well Ativan is a tranquilizer that of course can have some seditive effects on your dog.It does nothing for behavior it just sedated them.If you are having problems it is best for a dog to be worked with like Jack had mentioned. There will be side effects and there will be withdrawal effects as well which are normally worse then the side effects!
If you would like to paw mail me the problems you are having I will be happy to work with you online. Dogs are routine and pck animlas so they need assistance from you to adjust.I know this is a busy time for you as well so it may just mean that you need to spend some extra time with her or that you may need to hire a pet walker to get her out during the day so that she isn't home for long periods on her own if that's the case.
Feel free to paw mail me for help!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer