Maggie

at what age is it ok to breed your femae dog

isit ok to breed you female dog a 6 months or should you wait until shes 1year

Asked by Maggie on Feb 19th 2008 in Pregnancy

Best Answer

♥Tiffy♥

Personally, I would wait until 2 years. But that is just me. My mom wanted to breed my Tiffy when she was 1 year old. I just thought it was a bit too young. But I also think that my Tiffy is still a baby. I think dogs mature at about 2. Just my take on it.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on Feb 19th.

Answers

Miss Buddie

Six months is wwaaayyy too early. She's still growing and developing herself.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

2 years. Because the dog is completely mature by then and the health tests can be done and certified. I hope that you aren't going to breed your dog. Since you don't know much about breeding (hey, your question makes that fact obvious) you shouldn't do it until you have studied on it from at least 2 years.
www.dogster.com

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

WAY too young. First of all you need to do some research. This is an easy question and if you do not know the answer, then you are not ready to breed. A dog should be 2 yrs. old before being breed. Please research how to breed and when, as there can be many complications. Google is a great resource, also consult your vet. Before you decide to breed, remember there are alot of homeless pets in the world, so be sure you can guarantee your pups a forever home.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marlowe, CGC

Two years, but the above folks are right: if you don't already know the answer to this question you are not currently prepared for breeding your dog. There's so much more to it than just putting a boy dog and a girl dog together.

Another reason that 2 years is the minimum age for breeding is that you need that time to prove that your dog is worthy of breeding. With the current dog overpopulation problem, just being a cute dog is not enough to consider a dog worthy of making more dogs. We have enough cute dogs. The only reason to breed your dog is if your dog is an outstanding example of the breed *as judged by outside observers* in the show ring and/or obedience ring. And it takes time to do that and get all of these outside observer's information and comments about your dog's strengths and weaknesses.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

You should wait until at least two years, but if I were you I wouldn't breed her at all. Breeding a female makes their bodies break down faster and they never look the same as they did before they were bred. Plus to small dogs a pregnancy can be fatal. But in the end it's your decision.

Miley answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

To be honest it looks like your family is big enough. We don't condon breeding on this site unless you have a very good speciman of the breed. Is it of breed standard?Is there any hereditary issues? Has your dog proved to be a good speciman of the breed(ok double question here)? So many things to look at Maggie and Tiffy to. See all that my boys have done?Clay is even a champion but you don't see me slapping 2 dogs together to make a few bucks.They are all altered.
Best for last for the 100th time
9 MILLION ANIMALS WERE PUT TO SLEEP LAST YEAR DUE TO OVER POPULATION! I hope that one of your off spring wasn't one of them.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

6 months???...You have got to be kidding!...That is way too young & dangerous to your dog & her pups!!
In saying that the world has more than enough poorly bred Chihuahuas...I have done close to 800.00 in vet bills & health testing on a Ch bitch of top lines before I drove 9 hours to breed her to a compatible stud with like health testing...People like you are offensive to me.
I also rescue so that makes what you are doing even more offensive...YOU are part of the problem of the number of dogs killed for lack of good homes every year.

You should wait until your dog is AT LEAST 2 years of age. And, I would also HIGHLY recommend that you find yourself a veterinarian ASAP so that he/she can further educate you about breeding/gestation/whelping, and inform you as to the appropriate pre-breeding screenings necessary for ALL dogs (OFA hips, knees; ocular checks; brucellosis; etc.). Please, do your research and have ALL of the potential questions associated with breeding/gestation/whelping answered well before you even THINK about breeding your dog!!!!!

Cocoa Bean

I know this section is for answers...but let me ask you a question. Why do you want to breed you Chi? Think about it, you can loose your baby and or the pups and still pay a lot of money for a failed business if that is the case. Doesnt seem like you have the whole breeding topic worked out. Is it to have more dogs in your house? Why wait until she becomes an adult? There are many lovely Chihuahuas that need a home and you could have another dog sooner.

Cocoa Bean answered on 2/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mattie

2 years is the bare minnimum but there is only 5,177 Chihuahuas on petfinder that already need home right now just a thought

Mattie answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer