CHOKIE  DUKE CRUZ

At what age do you start to brush your dogs teeth?

My pup just turned 9 months yesterday... : )...What's a good age to start brushing his teeth? or should I have started already?

Asked by CHOKIE DUKE CRUZ on Apr 6th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mulder

I don't think age matters much. The first time I did Mulder's, he was nearly a year.

Though starting him young and desensitizing him to it early is probably a good idea.

Mulder answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A couple of things I've learned about teeth in my 13+ years of having the best dog in the world with not the greatest teeth. Bad breathe (despite popular belief) is not normal for dogs, it is an indication of a health issue, usually tooth decay! Starting now is a great idea! My dog tolerated my brushing her teeth if I used the small rubbery toothbrush that fits over your fingertip. Obviously always use dog toothpaste since they swallow it. A good bone is great for those back teeth, stay away from greenies. Nylabone dinosaurs are fab! For the last six months or so I have been using a product called Petz life. It comes in a gel & spray & claims to remove plague without brushing. I was skeptical but my dog is old and her front teeth get plaque really easy and I dont want to have her sedated anymore for a vet cleaning if I dont have to. Surprise the stuff really works! She's not 2 happy about spraying it in her mouth so next time I'm going to buy the gel and apply it. Good Luck

Daisy

Id start now. Daisy's breeder gets all her puppies used to their mouth being handled as soon as they are born. Then when still little she starts to brush. Thats why Daisy is so easy to brush her teeth and to do anything with her breeder was awesome!!!! So the sooner the better.

Daisy answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

ozzy

There are alternatives to teeth brushing such as sprays.

Both Petzlife and Leba III make sprays and gels that will work by softening the plaque so that it will fall off whist your dog is chewing it's food.

The only downside is cost and the fact that you cant let your dog drink for 30 mins before or after application.

The upside is time savings and ease of use, you just spray into the mouth or put a pea size of gel on your finger and let your dog lick it off.

Both seem to work as well as each other but one is half the price of the other.

ozzy answered on 4/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

You can certainly start brushing any time. Usually the sooner the better because they become used to it from a young age. But a great product you can use in addition to brushing is PETfection Breath Freshener Spray. It will help keep the plaque and bacteria levels down in the mouth. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic too. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com if you are interested. Works great!

Petri answered on 4/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer