at what age can i bread my male lab

Asked by Member 649967 on Jul 6th 2008 in Puppies

Answers

Layla

Once your pup is old enough to eat regular dog food you can feed bread to him (although I'm not sure why you would) but I'm guessing that's not really what you are asking.

If you dont already know this answer you shouldnt be breeding at all. You are obviously not knowledgeable enough unless your intention is to add to the population of unwanted dogs.

Layla answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

TK, CGC

You can stud your lab after he has been OFA certified and had other pertinent genetic testing done for labs, and you have competed him in conformation and/or field or obedience work and proven to the world that he is worthy of contributing to the Labrador Retriever gene pool.

TK, CGC answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

MAX

The first two answers are right on...thanks, you two! But I have another suggestion:

Before ANYONE thinks of breeding any dog, MAKW SURE that you take a walk through a rescue organization, like the SPCA or the local pound. Look closely at those dear faces. Realize that most of those dogs (and kitties and bunnies....I could go on!) will never find homes, and are at the end of there lives.

Then go home and think clearly.

PS> I am now in my forever home, after being rejected by my first 2 owners.

MAX answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Check with your local kennel club or your breed parent club...You will get great answers there!
Also, read this.
www.woodhavenlabs.com

The previous posters are 100% correct that if you are asking questions like this on the internet you have absolutely no business breeding.

Once he earns at least one title and passes the OFA, CERF, and other tests. Which would be after he is two years.
But, I beg you. Please do not breed him unless it is to try to improve the breed. Breeding out of greed (for money, to see the "miracle of birth", or any other reason other than to improve health of the breed) will be the death of the dog breeds. Good breeders breed sparingly, are very knowledgeable about breeding and dogs in general, and tries to do everything right, and breeds only for the right reasons. And for a breeder to have that knowledge, they need to study extensively for many years, and find a good mentor who has been successfully breeding for at least 10 years.
You can learn more about breeders here:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Lily

The most common dog in shelters, and the least likely to be adopted, is the 'Big Black Dog'. 60% of dogs who enter shelters are euthanized. I'm sure the percentage is higher for BBDs.

Please do not bring any more of them into the world. Labs are so overbred, they are becoming a less than ideal family pet.

Neuter your dog and enjoy his company for the extra years you will add on his life.

Lily answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

To me anyone that cant spell "breed" right doesnt sound like a very responsible breeder. There are already so many Labs. I suggest you neuter your dog and dont breed him. It takes alot of hard work and money to be a good breeder.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Once you learn to spell breed... then maybe. ;)

by having a quick look at your question I would say that you are planning on starting a bakery and not being a good,reputable breeder.

Out there there are countless dogs and puppies dying or waiting at the death row of some kill shelter.

I don't say that you can't buy a purebreed dog,I am a labrador lover and I am hoping on buying a puppy but DO NOT breed especially if you have no idea of what you should do.If you don't know at what age a dog can breed succesfully then you need lots of studying about that and take a few minutes to consider what you're gonna do

Males become sexually mature around 6-8 months of age. Testing your dog is a choice not a requirement. But I would recommend having your vet check your dog over, do some hip x-rays, check his heart, and thyroid and eyes. Very simple tests.

OFA is just a database and is not required. They only require a dog to be x-rayed once but that wont stop them from having problems later. Same with CERF for eyes.. You test yearly for that, but cataracts can pop up any time and then it's to late as you have still bred the dog several times, in most cases.

My dogs are all checked from head to toe once a year by my vet who knows his business well. I have never put out a bad or ill puppy and my adults are still healthy after many years.

Here is a group you can join where people will actually be helpful, and kind to you..
pets.groups.yahoo.com

Im assuming breed...

You should wait till your male lab is at least 2 years old, it allows for the balls to fully drop