Beignet

at home flea remedies?

hey guys! im only 8 wks old, so mommy says shampoos and topicals are not good for me. so is there anything she can use at home (besides combing them off everyday-which is what shes doing already)?

Asked by Beignet on Apr 14th 2009 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Best Answer

We were just talking about this - Safe and natural flea help - DE works great - human grade / just dust some into the coat daily -
All natural.....
See here: MUST be the Human grade DE-
I get the 3 LB and put it into a shaker...
www.revivalanimal.com
Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
A low cost, non-toxic, safe mineral made of crushed fossils. Pure Diatomaceous Earth can be used during the parasite season both internally and externally to improve health, appearance, and well-being of animals. Diatomaceous Earth is a product that can be used as a nutritional supplement for a wide variety of conditions. Contains the highest concentration of pure, raw Diatomaceous Earth available.

*************
also, One 1/2 a NuVET wafer treat per day will keep the fleas away - along with the DE...
NuVET has a dash of garlic in it , too!
Here is the ordering link: Holistic doggie vitamins www.nuvet.com
Tell them Marie sent you

Miss Priss answered on Apr 14th.

Answers

You have fleas?

Just about all dogs are very allergic to flea bites, so its almost cruel to not treat the pet.
(even if chemicals are not your favorite "choice")

You can also try garlic.
Give your pet fresh garlic, (pealed, and cut)..
members have said it helps.

But, that should be used as more of a preventative, and not as when your pet has them.

I would double the garlic with a flea medication to solve the problem as soon as possible.
Your home would also need to be sprayed, and do your laundry. (if your pet is an indoors animal)

P.S. if your pet won't eat the garlic.. try putting it in some egg.

The Pawsee

Be careful as large amounts of garlic can be toxic. First you will need to clean the entire area that has the fleas every day. I would call the vet and inquire about what you can give your little puppy.

The Pawsee answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can try Brewer's yeast pills with Garlic but since it's an all natural ingredient, it does have to build up in your body before it becomes effective. Other than that, since you're so young your mom is just going to have to pick them out one by one.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

Garlic, as another person has already said can be toxic to dogs so if you're wary of topicals and shampoo's then I doubt you'd want to try that.

Ivory soap, the liquid dish soap, is what we used at the grooming shop I worked at and what we recommend at the vet for situations like this. It kills fleas fast and effectively. It doesn't do anything about preventing them from coming back. Be careful not to get it in their eyes and because it is alcohol based it can dry out their skin if it is overused.

I'm not sure if you don't care for topicals at all or just for pups (lots of people have differing opinions about using them) but they are ok to use on pups 8 weeks and over.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I only use Frontline.
Medicated shampoos are harmful to dogs skin. They can get sores.
Solid gold does make a shampoo with natural ingred. it is suppose to deter fleas, but I use Frontline during the warm months. Because my dog doesn't require monthly baths.:)

you can use garlic and rosemary,rosemary works great on my dogs,but if you use to much garlic it can be toxic,but you can use alot of rosemary,rosemary is great for dogs,put it in his dog food and when he digest it the fleas will go away.and also lemon oil work great on dogs and any oils work on dogs but only organic works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't mess around. Your vet has many different safe, effective products. Some of them control hearworm and other worms too.