Are Vizslas heavy shedders? Are they known for being fence jumpers?

We currently have a yellow lab who is a heavy & constant shedder so we are looking for a breed that is low/medium in terms of shedding.

Asked by Member 1082429 on Jan 6th 2012 in Breeds S-Z

Answers

Buffy

Perhaps looking into why your lab is shedding so much might be a better first step. Labs typically only shed heavily when they blow their coat seasonly, or 2x a year. Thats not to say they dont shed other times of the year because they do. But weekly or bi-weekly brushing really cuts back on that. I dont hardly notice my Lab's shedding and it got even better when I put her on a higher quality food. Her coat improved drastically. That being said..I know Vizslas are a lower shedding dog, but they still shed. And poor diet or lack of grooming will increase that as it does with any dog. If the fence is not high enough - they might jump it. They are high energy dogs and need a ton of exercise. They're a working / sporting dog just like a lab. I might even venture to say they have more energy than labs! If you like your lab and are looking for a dog that doesnt shed a lot - have you thought about a Labradoodle? They shed next to nothing and its still a great family dog. Good Luck!

Buffy answered on 1/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vizslas are excellent dogs for minimal maintenance on grooming. They shed some, but their fur is so small you won't really notice anything. They definitely don't need to be brushed regularly like a lab does. As for fence jumping, I'd say Yes they are fence jumpers. The majority of the one's I've met have all be fence jumpers whether or not they did it one time or regularly.