Are there rescue greyhound puppies. If so, why?

Are there rescue greyhound puppies? If so, why?

Asked by Member 1128018 on Aug 28th 2012 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

Of course there are puppies in greyhound rescues. For the same reason there are puppies in any breed specific rescue. Irresponsible people breeding who have business doing so! People who impulse buy a puppy, then realize they did not do their research, so now they want to dump it. It is a widespread issue..purebred or not, there will always be unwanted puppies.

Yes, but they're rare. Almost all greyhounds in rescue are retired racing dogs (show and pet-bred greys rarely end up in rescue, they are so rare) and therefore are almost always mature adults. (Though not elderly! Most retire fairly young) Pups only end up in rescue if they have some issue that prevents them from racing at all, or the rare case of a pregnant female coming into rescue. This DOES happen, but I would say it's a tiny fraction of the greyhounds available for adoption.

One of the big pluses of adopting a greyhound is that they ARE mature adults, usually with lovely mellow personalities. They've also been crate-trained, leash-trained, and socialized with many people and other dogs, all big pluses you would have to do yourself when you start with a pup.

My Tasha raced for 5 years (the maximum) and won 119 races. After that, they are forcefully retired. An unknown fact about greyhounds is that they are universal doggie blood donors, so big animal hospitals will rescue them, use them as a blood donor for a year and a half, and then adopt them out to good homes. If you live near a track, there will be rescues nearby (I have two where I live that I can think of). Older greyhounds are the best!!! ^_^