Monty

Are There Any Healthy, Homemade Treats I Can Give My Puppy?

I'm working on training my puppy Monty.. I ran out of his training treats but I still want to reinforce his good behavior. Is there any homemade treats I can give him that won't effect his health.

Asked by Monty on Jul 26th 2011 Tagged puppyfoodtrainingnutrition in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I use tiny bits of real meat, cooked eggs. Keep it simple!

You can use his kibble too, if he really likes it. Better to use kibble as treats than fill him up on treats so he won't eat kibble.

Any food will "effect his health" if you feed too much... it's called obesity. :) The only things you really NEED to stay away from are chocolate, onions, grapes, and macadamia nuts. Other than that, experiment with whatever you have in your kitchen you think he might like... odds are, almost any REAL food is healthier than processed dog treats from the store made of who-knows-what.

Meat, cooked or raw, is fine. (However, if you do feed raw meat, be sure to wash your hands well afterwards. Remember that there are safety rules involved in handling raw meats. Feeding raw meat as a training treat wouldn't be very convenient, anyways.)
If your dog likes vegetables, like carrots, enough, you can use those, too.
Also, you can feed lunchmeat, but not too much because it's very high in salt.

Gia

I use bacon bits and milk bones, peanut butter is also a really yummy treat for dogs but shouldn't be given all the time, I once baked a bananna cake for my dog, thepooppantry.com the name sounds gross but my dog loved it.

Gia answered on 7/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Some fantastic homemade treats are from PETfection. They are all natural and safe for a puppy to eat. They don't contain any fillers, colors, or artificial ingredients. They offer multiple flavors and bag sizes too. Check them out at www.myPETfection.com. Hope this helps!

Check out my group for great dog treat recipes (you can find the treat recipes in the threads) -

www.dogster.com

You can also try Solid Gold Tiny Tots -

www.solidgoldhealth.com

Hime

Pieces of Fruits- as long as they're not too acidic. Melons are high in sugar, but it's usually not a problem unless the dog is diabetic. My dog drools for apples, peaches, strawberries, honeydew melon, etc
Cottage Cheese- it's a "cheese", and it has insignificant amounts of lactose, which means it WON'T upset dogs stomachs even if they are lactose intolerant. Cottage cheese is found as an ingredient in A LOT of homemade dog food recipes; My dog seems to like it.
Yogurt- as long as not fed to excess, it makes dogs' farts smell a whole lot better

Hime answered on 8/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tye

I make our 3 girls(GSD) homemade doggie treats that are very easy to make and nutritious at the same time! In a large measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup 1% milk and 1/2 cup natural peanut butter. Stir with a whisk until it is really smooth. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup wholewheat flour,1 and 3/4 tsp baking powder,1 tablespoon ground flax and a good shake of dried parsley. Blend well. Pour the mixture of PB and milk into the flour mixture. Stir until you have a nice dough.(It should be very easy to work with). Divide dough in half and work with 1 piece at a time-this makes it easier to roll out.Pat dough down on floured surface and try to make it square before you start to roll out with your rolling pin.Roll to desired thickness(I make them quite thin)and then use a pizza cutter to cut dough into bite size snacks. Using a pizza cutter let's you make any size or shape you want and is much easier and faster than using a cookie cutter. Bake for 14 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool,as the dogs drool!

Tye answered on 8/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer