♥Tiffy♥

Are sticks bad for dogs?

My Tiffy has this new thing of collecting sticks and she sometimes sits and bites and chews on them when we go outside. Can they harm her?

Asked by ♥Tiffy♥ on Mar 20th 2008 in Chewing

Best Answer

Miss Buddie

I hope not since Buddie does the same thing! BOL

The only thing you should look for is to make sure she's not eating too big a piece and gets choked or risks a blockage.

Miss Buddie LOVES to get big sticks from the back yard and just gnaw the heck out of them. It's a dog thing. :D

Miss Buddie answered on Mar 20th.

Answers

No more than other toy. Be careful though! My friend in the Shepherss4ever forum said that she heard a story about a someone playing fetch with a stick with his dog. The stick landed partly buried in the sand and when the dog came to pick it up with pierced the back of his throat.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

Anything and everything has the potential to harm your dog. I wouldn't allow Tiffy to have sticks without supervision and I'd be careful to make sure she isn't biting off pieces and eating them as it could lead to an obstruction.

I've also heard many stories about dogs getting impaled by sticks while playing fetch or running with them. So, as a general rule, I prefer Risa not play with them. Kongs, balls, Cuzes, etc. make much safer toys.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My Zack does the same thing but I just watch him real close and try to get him interested in something else. I'd prefer him not to. But dogs will be dogs sometimes.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

I eat so much wood that mom thinks I'm part beaver! She always trys to watch to make sure I don't hurt myself but when she tries to get the sticks away from me I just run from her - I'm faster than she is...and MUCH more determined - BOL!

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Roxie

Roxie ate a sandwich with a toothpick in it and we were told by the vet, wood does not digest in a dogs stomach, so be careful Tiffy doesn't eat too big a piece, like the others said it can cause a blockage.

Roxie answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes they can!...I know a dog who loved to chew sticks & broke one off in her esophagus & died a miserable death!

Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11

Another potential problem with sticks is with soft-wood ones. Basically, when I was a kid I was playing fetch with my dog (not my current dogs) and we were using a stick. She brought it back to me and I pulled and one of her teeth was stuck in it and was pulled out. She was young so it was probably a baby tooth and she was unaffected, but it scared me! So I agree with other posters, use caution as with any toy that can come apart into smaller pieces, but also avoid tugging too hard if Tiffy is holding onto the stick. :)

Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11 answered on 3/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer