Are Siberian Huskies good with kids?

Hi there I am getting a 8 week old Siberian Husky in a few weeks, I have done lots of research on the breed but some peoples experiences are really confusing! I have 3 children, 2 in school age and 1 toddler.. I hear Siberian Huskies have a high prey drive which means they will chase and mabey kill anything small that may catche their eye some poeple are saying cats small animals, does this apply to children too? I know any dog is capable of harming a child if not properly trained. Not just a husky! I don't intend to leave my children alone at any time with the dog, I was just wanting some peoples experiences with their Huskies and children. Thanks In Advance :)

Asked by Member 1144251 on Dec 8th 2012 Tagged siberian, husky, kids, household, family in Siberian Husky

Best Answer

Mika

Very good question and i'm glad to hear the research you have done because a lot of people just get a dog without knowing the breed and dont know what to do about it. I have a 2 yr old and a 9 yr old and also have 2 cats and my 3 year old Sibe Mika. They do have a high prey drive but if raised with small animals from a pup can do just fine. Anything i have read about Huskies has said they are great with kids and tend to form a strong "buddy" bond with them. As with other dogs however never leave a toddler alone with them, even if you trust them because toddlers tend to want to pull tails and ears and some dogs will nip out a fear or pain reaction. I am not a fan of those who let their toddlers jump all over their dogs and things because that is when a tragedy can occur. So as long as your careful of those thing and make sure your pup gets lots of socialization with people kids and other animals, your pup will do just fine. Sibes are very very friendly and make great family pets

Mika answered on Dec 8th.

Answers

My husky loves kids. Loves them! Many of them have high prey drives, too, but that doesnt necessarily mean they are human-aggressive. Usually that just means smaller pets or wildlife can be targets. Then again, I have a cat and my dog
Loves him. It really depends upon socialization and personality of each dog. If your puppy grows up with children and cats, it will love your children and probably your cat. I'm sure you'll teach your kids to be dog-smart, too. Huskies are great dogs, funny and loving, smart and so energetic!

Hi ive got 2 siberian huskys aged 1 and 10 months, they are unsure of kids and dont know what to do with them as they are little but they are not vicious at all, and ive found this with a few of our friends huskies too