Sunny

Are raw eggs good for dogs?

Are raw eggs good for dogs? I have heard many conflicting things. I saw a couple of websites that said that only the egg yolk is good but another that said that the whole thing is good for dogs as long as it is mixed in milk. I was just going to add some to there food once a week but now I am rethinking. Help?

p.s. does anyone know some good websites for cooking raw diets?

Asked by Sunny on Mar 21st 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Isy

My girls have been getting 1 about every other day since we switched to Raw. They are 110 and 120 lb great danes. Their coats have never been more luxurious!! A dog would have to eat an extreme amount of raw eggs all at once to be affected by the deficience they cause. Can't remember off hand which vitamin they effect. Biotin??? Anyhow... raw eggs wont hurt your dog when feed in moderation.

Isy answered on 3/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, they are, I give them to my dogss sometimes. Egg shells are a great source of calcium, I give them to my dog's too.

www.barfworld.com

www.rawfeddogs.net

www.rawlearning.com

www.dogguide.net

You can also look in the "Raw food diet" forum.

Yes, eggs are fine in moderation.
But, you asked for information on "cooking raw diets". A raw diet is NOT cooked. Perhaps you mean feeding a raw diet, not cooking? If so, check out the raw forum under forums.

A raw egg would be good for a dog if its diet was short in fat, protein, and other nutrients found in eggs. What is good for dogs and people is a complete and balanced diet and not too much of it. Even is somebody made a people food as good for them as dog chow is for dogs, it would never sell. People demand a variety and often insist on eating too much carbohydrates, salt, and fats rather than veggies and cheese that has things they need too. So the things we don't eat enough of are ''good'' for us. If your dog was eating a diet short in fat, protein, and whatever else is in eggs, then eggs would be ''good'' for it. If your dog is eating a complete and balanced dog, then raw eggs or anything else that isn't a complete and balance diet really does not improve its diet. Contrary to what some claim, raw eggs do add the risk of food poisoning from salmonella. Dogs may not be as susceptible as us, but a few do die from it.

I know of well informed source that suggests raw eggs.

My two get raw eggs 4-5 times a week. Some dogs can't handle them in excess because it gives them the splarts, but my two, especially Bam, love raw eggs. I would not mix anything in milk. The yolk also has lots of biotin which is good for skin, coat, and nails.

And yes, raw diets are not cooked. Thats why they are raw :)

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

Mine don't like them, and if I sneak it in their food, they get gas really bad. Believe me, it's not comfortable to sleep in the bed with a 120lb gas tank!!!

I quit giving them to my dogs all together when my neighbors dog died from raw eggs. Apparently they were bad, and he died before she got him to the vet.

Im not that afraid of them. We take a chance everytime we eat anything. I guess it just kind of spooked me a little, so I just quit giving them to my dogs. They get the same nutrients in the food I make for them anyway, so I skip the eggs now.

So thats my take on them.

Hector answered on 3/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yep. Cookie loves 'em. I give her egg yokes (without whites) once or twice a week when I think of it--not because I believe the white is bad, but because I'm only allowed to feed them to her when a family member decides he wants his eggs without yokes.
The egg white danger conspiracy is quite confusing and I have never really made up my mind on that.

Raw egg danger isn't a conspiracy. In fact, I've personally known of one dog who became ill on several occasions from salmonella from uncooked eggs. I also have a friend whose neighbors dog died from salmonella poisoning and it's not something to take lightly.

Now, it's up to everyone to decide whether or not to feed their dog raw diets. I'm totally not against a raw diet. I think it's great for some dogs and I think it's perfectly healthy in most cases for most dogs.

BUT raw eggs would be where I'd personally draw the line. Because sadly our food safety in this country is in the toilet.

Eggs used to be safe to eat raw a few decades ago. Every great once in a while you'd get a bad egg. But now they are routinely contaminated with salmonella and c-diff bacteria.

A dog might have an upset tummy with salmonella, but c-diff? That could kill even a large, young and hearty dog.

I personally wouldn't ever risk it. The risk far outweighs the benefit on this one.